Facebook

duanehydro

Ok, just kinda wanted to clear the air here...I once swore I would never be on it....now I am....Facebook...ok.
My roots are here, you all know that. There are a few things I've gained from fb, however....for instance, the parts I tried to sell on this site for 3+ years sold in 1 week on fb....while I was building my boat engine, and doing setup, I posted the exact same photos here as well as text....copied it on thb fb, and from here, I got ZERO responses, until I said HEY! respond!.....On FB THB, I got like 68 responses, setup suggestions, got hooked up with the original owner who offered a ridiculous amount to get it back, etc.... I am not dissing this site, just saying there is a lot more out there...I wish they would change the setup, and make it easier to join here...I don't own the site, and was asked not to change anything, so it is what it is....hard to join, not phone friendly, etc....In a short amout of time, I have made many friends, and got some GREAT tuning and setup info....picked up 7mph....here we have hate threads and get rick-rolled..humps..talk about rain and fishing boats.....Or 1-2 events for the year...Sorry guys, my rant is over. Just don't care to be bashed because of FB. Bash me anyway, you could start a hatemail for Duane thread! :smile16:

Disturbed

Hey, it is what it is.

The tips and suggestions would be much better served here.  Try finding something in particular over in fagbook two months from now.  Not arguing.  Actually, I think I'm in agreement with you.

duanehydro

I agree....sorry to rant, and I can only hope we could make this website as easy to use as fb is. Heck, even hooked up with some cousins I havn't seen in a while....
:smile27:

Devilman

I agree, it is what it is.... but part of what you seem to state that is a negative to this place.... is due to a willful lack of participation by so called THB people. People are spoiled by technology, I get that. But if you feel the need to start a thread about FB, that is something on you or any FB posters I'd say, not the people who post here. Nobody means any harm, just slinging a little chit the same as any other site. FB is a whole different animal & has its place, nothing wrong with that. But by the same token, no need to make noise about those who choose to post here instead of FB. Sounds like you have a guilty conscience or something.

and I mean that with all due respect. :wink: :grin: (movie line by the way for anyone that is feeling sensitive)

duanehydro

Yes, I do feel a little guilty, thanks for asking! I pushed and pushed for years around here....sorry to be negative. didn't mean to.. :smile19:

Devilman

Don't get all upset man, just fukkin with ya. Websites fail all the time. Not sayin this one is a failure per se, but a website/forum/message board is what the members make it. If there is a segment of the "community" that purposely decides not to contribute, then the remaining members will do as they see fit. While somewhat limited by the awesome technology that seems to have a large percentage of the general population enslaved, there is still good/viable information to be found here. The ones that choose not to participate will find their own version of what they deem important elsewhere, be it FB or any other website. Like I said, it has its place & things have a way of finding their own level so to speak. :wink: I wouldn't worry about THB, it'll continue to mosey along while the latest & greatest eventually burns itself out. :cool:

I have to say though, I find it ironic that people that don't post here.... would feel the need to complain or talk about what people post here, lol....

duanehydro

didn't mean to complain, Kenny, just a little tired of being ribbed about fb....just wanted to speak my mind among friends. sorry you feel that way. I'm just like Steve as far as this site goes..have no control, and can't really change anything...is it access? technology? I don't know why thb has only a few members a day....I am still trying to get peeps to join....I love you guys and this place, and would like to see more posting about boat projects, ideas and such.

John

its not that this site doesn't get traffic at any given time there are 20 or more guests. most i would assume have a log in and aren't using it. you dont get to 17 million views without traffic!
im loosing shirt sales by not taking orders over on FB, but like others said, here i have a record of what is ordered easy to PM people and what not (FB you may be able to do this but im not a pro) and its a heck of a lot easier for me getting peoples orders together.

and if im BS ing to much tell me, i don't want people to start calling me CJ

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Way to go John! clap.gif I feel there is one THB, and FB can be everything else. I don't need the drama and the BS that's on FB. Yes we rib and destroy threads. But the info is here, and so are the people who know. FB THB is just an attempt to build a brand. What it has done to THB can be looked at many different ways. But if it takes members from here, then it isn't exactly a positive thing for us. But that's ok, FB's day is coming, it will get replaced by the next new thing when it comes along. and hopefully THB will survive what ever else comes up. Am I clinging to the sinking ship, I guess that's in our hands as THB members. :smile30:

John

i know ya'll cant change any thing but why isn't there a sterndrive board? i mean i kinda feel like a red headed stepchild

Devilman

Duanehydro said:
didn't mean to complain, Kenny, just a little tired of being ribbed about fb....just wanted to speak my mind among friends. sorry you feel that way. I'm just like Steve as far as this site goes..have no control, and can't really change anything...is it access? technology? I don't know why thb has only a few members a day....I am still trying to get peeps to join....I love you guys and this place, and would like to see more posting about boat projects, ideas and such.

It ain't nothing you should be apologizing for, don't take it like that. I don't "feel" any way, its just an opinion/observation is all.  I get that ya'lls hands are tied as far as site maintenance & stuff like that goes. Technology, access, probably a little of both. Far as the rest, some people like FB, some don't. It is what it is, didn't realize it was that big of a thing. I will add it to my list of things not to joke about. :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
And after reviewing this topic, I realized that it is up to Duane,Cliff,and myself to act as the gate keeper of the playground. Guess this means we need to review the applicants a little closer and start letting in some of the funny looking kids! So you guys get on your toes with the spam reporting! Daddy gonna have to open the gate a little more! :smile26:

Crusader

Ya know Duane, you and the guys do have valid points. FB is strictly a social site.....and isn't at all good for research and finding of archived articles. That's where this site comes in handy....it's easy to do a search and find what you're looking for. There's more than 2,100 members on THB FB and it's tough scrolling through the hundreds of posts looking for something.

Another advantage FB has over a website is that it's super easy to post photos (we all love pictures), and it's real easy to create an event and invite the entire group. In fact, if you invite everyone in the group, they each get a notification that they were personally invited. On main site, unless you log on or view an event as a guest, you'd not know an event was going on at all.

I read in this post about the drama over on THB FB. Well it wasn't too long ago those same guys causing the drama on FB were doing the exact same thing here on the main site too. I've all but eliminated the drama queens on the FB site so they went off and created their own pages to cause drama on.

Also, as an Admin / Moderator, it's easier to screen members requests on FB as you can actually go to the persons home page and determine if they are a real person or a scammer.... when approving members on this site, it's almost a crap shoot as to who is legit or not.

I love the main site...it's easy to use and we have a cool group of guys to chat with. Ya, it could be much easier to post pictures too and possibly get notifications....but I'll take the bad with the good.

Also...my wife is a FB junkie and can see what I post on THB FB.....she's too lazy to log onto this site and see what I write...lol.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Cliff pointed out another side, our wives mite be on FB. Hell most of my family is on there one way or another. That's why I'm here! :smile30:

oldbuck40

Crusader said:
Ya know Duane, you and the guys do have valid points. FB is strictly a social site.....and isn't at all good for research and finding of archived articles. That's where this site comes in handy....it's easy to do a search and find what you're looking for. There's more than 2,100 members on THB FB and it's tough scrolling through the hundreds of posts looking for something.

Another advantage FB has over a website is that it's super easy to post photos (we all love pictures), and it's real easy to create an event and invite the entire group. In fact, if you invite everyone in the group, they each get a notification that they were personally invited. On main site, unless you log on or view an event as a guest, you'd not know an event was going on at all.

I read in this post about the drama over on THB FB. Well it wasn't too long ago those same guys causing the drama on FB were doing the exact same thing here on the main site too. I've all but eliminated the drama queens on the FB site so they went off and created their own pages to cause drama on.

Also, as an Admin / Moderator, it's easier to screen members requests on FB as you can actually go to the persons home page and determine if they are a real person or a scammer.... when approving members on this site, it's almost a crap shoot as to who is legit or not.

I love the main site...it's easy to use and we have a cool group of guys to chat with. Ya, it could be much easier to post pictures too and possibly get notifications....but I'll take the bad with the good.

Also...my wife is a FB junkie and can see what I post on THB FB.....she's too lazy to log onto this site and see what I write...lol.
this was the main problem here all along and Duane knows who the main chit stirrer was before FB came along and his hands were tied! nothing would or could be done about it so the destruction to this site came on slowly year after year and spread like wildfire once FB got rolling! FB was not the problem,,just the persons using it to run this place in the ground.  And too refusing to change with technology and keep up so the site stays on a positive roll was a big down fall.. Keep up or be left behind!!!!

oldbuck40

Oh and ask Kenny what happened to an old site we used to go to called ISL,,(old boating and bull chit site)  He knows what happened over there and so does Esa,, its coming here soon too!