engine flush fitting

PLANEJIM

Hello-another stupid question-what is everyone using for a fitting to run the engine on the water hose and where would you install it?-my hose that comes from the pump under the engine and splits up to the water pump plate-thanks

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Patchman said:
I have! :smile16:

to just flush the engine? why?
Got to flush out the zebra mussels and the coyote clams! Wouldn't want to pollute Kona's waters! :smile20: Figure that way anything that is in there is toast! :smile16:

Devilman

Patchman said:
Got to flush out the zebra mussels and the coyote clams! Wouldn't want to pollute Kona's waters! :smile20: Figure that way anything that is in there is toast! :smile16:

Didn't realize you was running in contaminated areas. :lipsrsealed: Have to run it for awhile to build up any kinda temperature it would seem, you run yours that long on the trailer?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Patchman said:

Didn't realize you was running in contaminated areas. :lipsrsealed: Have to run it for awhile to build up any kinda temperature it would seem, you run yours that long on the trailer?
I didn't know you were taking me all serious and all. I really don't flush it that much. Just when running brackish water. :smile14:

Devilman

Patchman said:
I didn't know you were taking me all serious and all. I really don't flush it that much. Just when running brackish water. :smile14:

lol, well why wouldn't I? I don't know what you do with your boat when I ain't around... :rolleyes: :cheesy: So ya, I was curious what you did regarding flushing the engine.  :wink:

Most of the time we just back in the lake since we pass right by it on the way home. That'll flush it out with the pump & give it some heat as well. Sometimes if I don't feel like fooling with it, once at home I'll shut the valve to the exhaust & backflush it by just using the garden hose up against the overboard dump line and run water till it comes out the pump.

PLANEJIM

DISTURBED said:
WTH Patch?  You want him to come over and check out your plumbing?  :smile20:

Patch is a great guy-he has helped me a lot-but no plumbing check here !!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in middle of putting my boat back together and I just would like to fire it off on the trailer to make sure it runs.  The previous motor had jb weld around the rear cylinders behind the flexplate-which brings it another question-do you need to pour antifreeze into the block when we got those one or two 25 degree nights here-thanks

KONA77

Patchman said:
Devilman said:
Patchman said:
I have! :smile16:

to just flush the engine? why?

thanks for thinking of me,  cause, Disturbed does a well enough job  :cry:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, Jim has some great avatars! Bout time someone else with a little class logged on here! :smile30: :grin:

blazeracer

I had a T with a water hose fitting on my boat when I got it. Never once used it. It's not on there now. Haven't ever had a reason to run it on a hose or to flush it. It never runs out of the water for more than a few seconds.

PLANEJIM

I will not be using it much either-but I need to run the new engine I am installing and driveshaft is too hard to access -thanks

PLANEJIM said:
I will not be using it much either-but I need to run the new engine I am installing and driveshaft is too hard to access -thanks

Probably be the "downer" here but it likely goes without saying that its best never to run these jets out of the water at all  without the driveline disengaged .. if you cant avoid it one needs to provide separate water sources to the engine and the jet. one line to the engine , second separate hose to the jet via the cleanout or spraying into the intake grate  Tom

veestyle

Home Depot has some quality brass hose repair ends in the garden section, an easy way to add a flush would be to intercept the supply coming from the pump, inside the engine bay, before it goes into the engine, cut and instal the hose splice ends. Orient it so the female repair splice is on the engine side of the line. Or put a  Tee fitting in the same spot with a stub of hose terminated with female garden hose connection and capped.

Any of these type connections I would use a tool to tighten during normal lake use, it's kinda embarrassing when it comes loose.

O yeah, be sure and put a garden hose spraying Into the clean out, or do like tom says and don't run it out of water.