Electrical

stud_rudd

So there is a storm coming in tonight and it is suppost to freezer. I do not have a heated garage and i need to cycle the water out of the engine and put in anti freeze. i went to turn the boat over today and when i turned the key nothing happend.  when i turn it to the ACC positon the guages come on but when i turn it all the way to start the enging nothing happens. When i turn it alkl the way the voltage guage goes down just a little bit like power is going some where but not all the way. Does anyone have any ideas? thank you

duanehydro

taylormanss said:
did ya try tapping the starter? to see if the starter is stuck?
agreed try lightly tapping on the starter motor while someone turns the key...you may need a new starter.

The General

Did you try jump starting it?

Just cause the guages are coming on dosen't mean there's enough juice to turn it over or even make the solenoid click.

Start with the simple stuff

S

Static Line

you maybe passed all of this but here are some simple tips.

if you do use anti freeze in make sure its a 50/50 mix and not 100 % antifreeze  :smile12:
Before doing any of this below, wear the proper safety gear.
mine was hanging up last year so give it a tap then crank, you might hear a light clicking sound if so your battery is dead you will see a voltage drop, but you can check this with a volt meter and if you have one an amp prob.  If you have a maintainable battery try this before buying a new one or charging, pop the caps and check the cell levels, there should be a plastic lip from the molding fill it to there. Also fill it with distilled water do not use tap water. Once done put the battery on trickle charge. If your battery is maintenance free you can not check the levels, just buy a new one.  :smile12: 

KONA77

:smile12: don't forget to check the ground on the back of engine where the electrical come from the dash

wolfman0613

If I
recall didnt you have a problem when you unloaded the boat for the first time? It seems like yu said you almost sunk the boat. If that is the case the starter was probably under water, :smile12: once they get wet and set for a while thats when the corrosion and rust starts.You can try and clean the armature and brushes I personally have never had any luck with that.Probably easier to get a new one.