Drain your oil out your dipstick.

scarabscs

I’m sure it’s a lot easier to change the oil on some of your Jets and V-Drives than it is in a larger lake boat like mine.  After staring at my boat, and looking at the drain plug, I figured there had to be an easier way to change the oil than crawl around in my engine compartment and run a hose out the back drain plug.  I didn’t want to risk making a mess in my nice clean white engine compartment, and didnt want to contort myself in my engine compartment!

After rummaging through the garage I managed to find a high pressure in tank fuel pump out of my Trans Am, some small OD nylon pool vacuum hose, some 3/8 inch fuel hose, and some 1/4 inch fuel hose.  I grabbed some wire, some alligator clips, and some electrical connectors, and ran the power and round for the fuel pump so that I could connect them to the boat battery. 

I stepped the nylon hose up to 1/4 inch and then to 3/8 inch so it would fit the inlet on the fuel pump.  All of the hoses fit very tightly into each other, so I did not need to clamp them.

The small OD vacuum hose fit into my dipstick, and I ran it until it bottomed out in my pan.  I left enough hose so that I could hang the pump outside of my boat, below the pan.  I hooked her up the alligator clamps to the battery and once the pump primed we were in business. 

It took about an hour to move all 7 quarts, and damn it was easy!  bling.gif

ChryslerJet

scarabscs said:
I’m sure it’s a lot easier to change the oil on some of your Jets and V-Drives than it is in a larger lake boat like mine.  After staring at my boat, and looking at the drain plug, I figured there had to be an easier way to change the oil than crawl around in my engine compartment and run a hose out the back drain plug.  I didn’t want to risk making a mess in my nice clean white engine compartment, and didnt want to contort myself in my engine compartment!

After rummaging through the garage I managed to find a high pressure in tank fuel pump out of my Trans Am, some small OD nylon pool vacuum hose, some 3/8 inch fuel hose, and some 1/4 inch fuel hose.  I grabbed some wire, some alligator clips, and some electrical connectors, and ran the power and round for the fuel pump so that I could connect them to the boat battery. 

I stepped the nylon hose up to 1/4 inch and then to 3/8 inch so it would fit the inlet on the fuel pump.  All of the hoses fit very tightly into each other, so I did not need to clamp them.

The small OD vacuum hose fit into my dipstick, and I ran it until it bottomed out in my pan.  I left enough hose so that I could hang the pump outside of my boat, below the pan.  I hooked her up the alligator clamps to the battery and once the pump primed we were in business. 

It took about an hour to move all 7 quarts, and damn it was easy!  bling.gif

Nice trick.  They make units to do just this both electric and hand pump.  Great to know an old electric fuel pump would work in its place.  Now where did I put that old one that I pulled when it was still working.

duanehydro

This is what I use.

thumbnail.aspx

Takes a little longer, though. Sometimes I think I could pull the engine and drain it faster.

spd500

I used to have one like the one Duane posted.  Those are okay as long as you change the oil hot, but not if you are changing the oil in a cold motor. When the motor is still hot most of the crud is still suspended in the oil instead of settling to the bottom of the pan.

scarabscs

Duane, that looks like a nice set up.  I got the oil warm but not hot.  Next time ill heat it up more, it should speed up the process a lot, and get more of the trash out.

John

Duanehydro said:
This is what I use.

thumbnail.aspx

Takes a little longer, though. Sometimes I think I could pull the engine and drain it faster.
X2

doesn't quite take as long as you might think, however on my canton 10qt pan a have a brass 5/8ths 90 with a piece of hose op to the top of the valve covers i use that to drain the oil out of the pan to

in the pic its the yellow cap

jimsplace

Duanehydro said:
This is what I use.

thumbnail.aspx

I have one of those also, it can be pumped by hand or connected to the air compressor that creates a vacuum in the plastic barrel.  Since I don't like getting things dirty or oily, I rigged up a small tube inside the unit that goes into a 1 gallon plastic jug that the oil will run into.  However, I usually don't use it.

I have found the easiest way to drain the oil is with a 1/4 inch plastic or nylon drain hose run into the dipstick tube.  Push it to where it goes to the lowest part of the pan.  Raising or lowering the boat front helps.  Suck the oil with either a small pump or whatever is easiest to start the flow of oil into the tube and stick the tube into a suitable container.  Believe it or not, the oil will syphon itself out of the pan, just like water.  It is a long process and may take 24 hours or more, but once started just walk away and come back the next day.

The oil will come out of the 1/4 inch tube a drop at a time, so don't expect to do it quickly.  This is with oil at 60 degrees.  I have done it for years and is the cleanest and easiest way I have found.  When it stops, pull the drain plug for verification if you wish.  You should be able to tell by the weight of the oil removed it is complete.  Try it, you might like it and be surprised. 

There is no need to drain the oil onto the floor of your boat and make a mess.

77Jet Star

When I built my new motor I instaled a drain hose on the Pan only to find out it would not fit out through the hole in the transom.So what I do is wrap a rag around the end of the drain hose  and tape it to the  hose on my wet vac. takes about 2 hours when the oil is cold.But better than making a mess in the bottom of the boat.  :smile24:

duanehydro

lol, for the first 15-20 years of jetboating, I thought all you could do was drain it into the boat, jack it up, and let flow... jump.gif

Devilman

Dad helped me rig up a ball valve on mine back when I first bought the boat. Screwed in to the drain hole on the pan with a line attached that reaches the back of the boat. Valve & line has same ID as the drain hole in the pan, so it drains fairly quick hot or cold. not much mess at all, if any. :wink:

spd500

JETSTAR said:
When I built my new motor I instaled a drain hose on the Pan only to find out it would not fit out through the hole in the transom.So what I do is wrap a rag around the end of the drain hose  and tape it to the  hose on my wet vac. takes about 2 hours when the oil is cold.But better than making a mess in the bottom of the boat.  :smile24:

I have done something similar to this , but alot faster . I used a sandwich sized tupperware container to drain the oil into and sucked it out of the container with the vac as it drained .

Red Horse

I drain the oil out of the pan thru a hose out of the garboard drain. It is slow even after warming the engine for a while. I have gotten into the habit of pouring some new oil in the engine and waiting till I see the new stuff come out of the hose. That way I know that all the old stuff is out.

The problem is that the engine never really get warm on the hose. It needs to work to come up to temp.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
I put one of these on my pan.  I can get to mine though.  I hook a cheap A$$ hand pump to it.  I can drain the pan in less than 5 minutes with the oil cold.

73 Sanger Flat

All this  time I guess I been doing it wrong , I just pulled the plug , drain it in the bottom of the boat and then go to the boat  ramp and just let it drain out .. .. Maybe I can come up with a better way to drain mine ..

No : I have a drain hose on mine that is long enough to stick out the back of the transom and then I use one of those cheap orange pumps and pull it out in about five minutes , or I will jack the boat up really high and let it run out by gravity over a couple of days .. That is what it is doing now , but it been draining now for two weeks . I guess i need to go out and finish it this weekend ..

customtouch

I used this sure flow oil change kit when I was changing the oil on the Baja and it worked very well. Just hook it up to the battery, slip the hose over the dipstick, pump the oil out into the container, then you could reverse the flow and pump it out of the container into what ever you were going to use to dispose of the oil. The initial price for it seemed high at first, but it payed for itself in two oil changes for what a dealership charged to change oil. When you have to deal with a jam packed engine compartment like mine was, anything that simplified the job was well worth the money. I miss the the boat but I definitely don't miss working on it. If anyone around here needs to borrow it, they are welcome to. Just give me a call.

Attachments

• SAM_1217.JPG
    SAM_1217.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_0587.JPG
    100_0587.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 129

spd500

think.gif If you just slip a hose over the dipstick tube on my motor you will only get about half of the oil out . Did you get all of the oil out of your motors in the Baja ?

customtouch

spd500 said:
think.gif If you just slip a hose over the dipstick tube on my motor you will only get about half of the oil out . Did you get all of the oil out of your motors in the Baja ?

I can only assume I did. There was no way to reach the drain plug to check it. This is pretty much how most of the side by side twin engine offshores are done. This is also why they always recommend running the engine to operating temp to get any sediment up off the bottom of the pan and mixed with the oil before you suck it out. (So I have been told) When then engines are staggered it gives you a little more access to the drain plug and is a little easier. I guess you could try to size it down to a hose that would fit inside the tube but that would have to be very small and I don't know how well that would work.