Dominating Pump!

Distant Thunder

Okay, I've pulled cover off of my pump and now I can't get the bowl to separate. I've removed the eight bolts but it still won't let go. It's a Dominator pump and I'm curious if there is a retaining ring or some kind of keeper that needs to be removed. I've never had it apart, so I don't know what's involved. Is it just such a precision fit or what? HELP!!

Distant Thunder

Do you have any tips on separating the bowl? Do you use a pry bar or screwdriver? I'm trying not to damage the finish since it's all powdercoated.

wolfman0613

Prying on it might break something.I would use heat and repowdercoat afterwards.Be very careful with cast aluminum :smile20:

Devilman

First time I took my bowl off, it was kinda stuck like that, had silicone on it. I used a gasket scraper, kinda tapped it in there & seperated it that way. Once started it came off pretty easy. Just be easy & take your time, wouldn't use a prybar or anything like that, lol....

oldbuck40

Devilman said:
First time I took my bowl off, it was kinda stuck like that, had silicone on it. I used a gasket scraper, kinda tapped it in there & seperated it that way. Once started it came off pretty easy. Just be easy & take your time, wouldn't use a prybar or anything like that, lol....
yup what D-Man said!  i have to place several of those scrapers around the bowl sometimes(trying to make even pressure)  but a lot of times its the shaft stuck in the bowl by the grease or oil creating a suction!! just keep pulling! it will come out!

Disturbed

You might try some .020 stainless wire (safety wire) if you can get your hands on some.  Use it like a knife. 

I had to run the bolts back in the bowl most of the way and tap them with a rubber mallet until it broke loose.  If you decide to do that, be very careful and take your time.  It will eventually come loose.  If you beat the crap out of it, you will damage the threads. 

Distant Thunder

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll bet there's silicone holding it tight. I tried tapping on the bolts but couldn't get much swing because of the transom in the way. I'll either get a gasket scraper or some .020" wire like coolglastron said. Thanks again!!

Devilman

On a side note, if the mounting surfaces are good (clean & smooth) & not gouged up, you shouldn't have to use silicone when you go back together with it either.  :wink:

Distant Thunder

Got the pump out and replacing all of the gaskets. While it's apart, is there any way to identify what cut my impellar is? I don't want to remove it but is there any markings that I can look for? I'd just like to know before buttoning it all up.

badblood

New style dominators have an O-ring not a gasket and may be stuck. Try using a rubber hammer tapping from one side to the other on the back of the bowl to break seal.