cracked hull

Dan

Hi, Has anyone ever had to deal with a cracked hull about 1/2" in front of a cavitation plate before? This boat is a 72 flat bottom v-drive. appears to be wood and glass like a laminate? The crack is about 18-20" long. last summer I had the boat out in the river and it started leaking while sitting on the beach. The bildge pumped out about 55 gallons of water. This boat has a floor in it so its not repairable from the top anyways it seems there is only about a 1/4-1/2" between the floor and bottom hull. Hard to spread glass mat this way. The cavitation plate sits in a 1/4" recess just behined the crack. So I dont see how I can make a strong repair givin where this crack is? Has anyone ever used any epoxy or equivalent that would kling to a surface upside down? fill the void so to speak. That is strong and flexible? I am including a couple pics of it. Help me guys v-drives are rare here and I have to fix her.
Thanks all,
Dan

Attachments

• HPIM1962.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 335
  • HPIM1967 (1).JPG
    594.8 KB · Views: 349
  • HPIM1974.JPG
    704.2 KB · Views: 356

3boatpaul

kind of look's like a sanger ??????  the wooden floor and the rail's are the back bone of a flattie and the glass is like the skin. a crack that long at that point is not good. a patch on the bottom is just a band aid
and has to be done right. especially on the bottom of a flattie. am wondering how long water might have beeen intruding into the flooring as you said 55 gallons was in the boat. it had to come thru the plywood floor. do you see any major crack's or delamanation on the inside. had to come thru some where. it is fixable  BUT not for the faint of heart.  :smile25:     

3boatpaul

think.gif  having a problem here, you say there is a void between 1/4 to 1/2 in between the floor and the bottom of the hull. ???? most flat bottoms the plywood floor is the bottom and is bedded in the glass bottom. 

Dan

The boat is a Verka I never heard of one but the title says Verka as the brand and the vin number is V236hp is all it says. You might be right about the floor because the crack is not flush to the floor because of the bunk causing pressure on this area making it hang down a 1/4 to a 1/2 " We have had this boat 4 going on 5 years and never had a leak before. I first noticed last summer that water was coming in around the packing seal area but found by inspection this crack allowing water to enter the boat. and there again how could it if the floor and bottom are of one? Is it at all possible to have a void made into this boat this way? I can take more pics of this if it will help you. Please just tell me what you want to see? The boat has a carpet floor and seems very solid under it.
Thanks,
Dan.

Red Horse

It sounds like the wood and fiberglass are separating. You might have delamination going on.

It is repairable, but not for the faint of heart as said before. You will have to remove all materials to where the crack is no longer there and wide enough for replacement glass/coring/wood can be adhered to good material then faired out. Plus like said as well, the stringers is what holds a boat together. I would get an experts opinion after it is looked at. Might even be worth finding a cheap hull, less motor and put your running gear and engine into it.

3boatpaul

flat's don't have false floor's the plywood is the floor and then is lamanated over. repair's at this part of the boat has to be done right.  the bottom next to the rideplate and forward are very critical on this type of boat.
you'r boat look's to be a very clean boat and probably worth the effort, BUT for sure i would have someone with some knowledge look at it. like i said repair not for the faint of heart. for a proper job, the boat has to have everything taken out of it to be repaired right. the ply wood in the back has to be 1-- rotted out  or 2---cracked. some thing happened to cause the glass on the bottom to seperate and tear. in either case this is a major job involving stringer's and flooring and best left to the expert's. i wish i could say it was an easy fix.
sorry.

Dan

Hey Guy's Thanks for your help on this matter, I don't have any pro boat hull shops any where even close to me that I can find. Looks like I have some tough decisions to make.

beaverfab

There is several free or low priced v drive hulls on Performanceboats. spam section. That hull is going to cost more to fix than it's worth, find a hull and put your parts in it. j.j.

3boatpaul

just wondering if you had been able to get some one to look at you'r boat or if you have decided on another hull. keep us informed on any updates to you'r project if you can.  just an inquireing mind.  :smile27:

Dan

Haven't done anything with it yet...economy sucks here in illinois! any jobs around ya all? Would move my wife and boat to Texas! Would be nice being around similar people for my wife and I. I think we have the only v-drive in illinois!  think.gif
later,
Dan.

Devilman

Did you have a certain area of Texas you may be interested in? What line of work are you in? I can't speak for anywhere else, but around here, construction & oilfied/natural gas stuff seems to be goin off like crazy.

jdeaton

Offshore is hiring, and if you have a skill "electrician, computer guy, mechanic, etc." you can make some serious cheddar.  Is cheddar still the cool word for Money?

Dan

Hey all, I am serious about moving to Texas, I am skilled in alot of things been in skilled trades most all of my life. machine repair and some electrical. any advice from you guys will be taken seriously. I want to be around others that have a v-drive. seems like they are everywhere down there. I don't care to live in a rat race would prefer a quite kinda area if possible. My wife and I are cool people we get along great with others.

I would do most any type of work to start off with, And once I learn my way around could find better employment in time.
Later,
Dan.

Devilman

Dan said:
Hey all, I am serious about moving to Texas, I am skilled in alot of things been in skilled trades most all of my life. machine repair and some electrical. any advice from you guys will be taken seriously. I want to be around others that have a v-drive. seems like they are everywhere down there. I don't care to live in a rat race would prefer a quite kinda area if possible. My wife and I are cool people we get along great with others.

I would do most any type of work to start off with, And once I learn my way around could find better employment in time.
Later,
Dan.

THB is made up of people scattered all over Texas, lots of them with v-drives & v-drive experience. If you have time & are able to, hang around the board a little during the day, different members are on at different times. Post a thread & ask some questions that would help get you information to kinda dial in where you may find the best fit. Its a great bunch of people here, they will help you if they can.  :smile17:

jdeaton

Google  offshorejobs.com The drilling permits are starting to come out of Washington and this place is fixing to explode. Example: Entry level roustabout $15.00 an hour for the first 40 hours, then time and a half for the next 44 hours.  Paycheck is based on 12 hour days for 7 days, then off for seven days.  Most companies are going to 14 day hitches with 14 days off to help save drive time. Good Luck