Carb questions

jimmyray0682

Got a 350 with vortec heads, small cam, 1.6 roller rockers, edelbrock performer intake with a holley 600 carb. My boat boat takes forever to plane out. It won't pull more than 2700 rpm till it planes out. Then it won't pull past 3900 rpm. I think I need more carb, what yall think?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
What's the timing set at? 600 CFM should not be too little, hell my 460 had a 600 on it stock and turned 4800.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Check the float level on the carb with the boat in the water. Maybe it's lean and not getting enough fuel. Might need to make sure it can pull fuel from the tank as well. :smile30:

jimmyray0682

Patchman said:
Check the float level on the carb with the boat in the water. Maybe it's lean and not getting enough fuel. Might need to make sure it can pull fuel from the tank as well. :smile30:

Next time I take it out I'll check it out.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I had a runabout in last year, the needle and seat were stuck, and not letting it get enough fuel. After new needle and seat, it woke up! Did it run fine in the past? :smile21:

customtouch

jimmyray0682 said:
FL350 said:
What prop and outdrive?

Mercury 21 pitch with a mercruiser alpha 1

Need a little more info here. What size boat, hull design & weight, which Mercury prop (they make a lot different designs for different purposes), and is the boat new to you or have you  run the boat before with this prop. If it is all new there may not be a problem with the motor and it's a set-up problem. If you have run this prop before and it performed well then that is a different situation.

jimmyray0682

88 renkin spitfire. It's kinda like a baja v hull. Mercury quick silver stainless steel 14×21. I had an aluminum 19 pitch, not sure of the size, but seemed to have more low end but still wouldn't rev over about 4000. Was told to try the 21. Not sure of the weight around 6000lbs I think.

customtouch

There is no other name on the prop, like Mirage, Mirage Plus,  Laser 2 or anything?  Also did you get the 14 x 21 number directly from the prop or is that an estimate?  The exact diameter is important. One other thing,  I am assuming the carb has vacuum secondarys and have you checked to be sure they are opening properly?  If so, I would guess it is a matter of over propping.

jimmyray0682

That was the number stamped on the inside of the hub. It doesnt have any other name stamped on it. Thats just what i was told it was. Yes they are vacuum secondaries. Not sure if they're opening up. I just assumed they were.

customtouch

If there is not a model/serial number somewhere that starts with 48-something it's probably not a Mercury prop. If you haven't confirmed that the secondary's are opening properly, that is the first place to start.