Cam selection

Chevy2184

Ok guys? Who is a good one to talk to and pick their brain on a cam selection for my bbc I'm putting together for my jet boat? I called comp cams and they recommended sk-11-461-8?
84ff1dcf6c4fe0fd5d9f6994c450a155.jpg

I'm putting together a 10-1 comp 632 tall deck? Just don't sound like much cam? The guy I spoke with was like here you go just need a marine cam? Just want to spend the coin once? Any info would be great! Not planning on maxing it out rpm wise? Just build a healthy lake boat that will live a long healthy life? But at the same time I don't want to leave anything laying on the table either? Thanks guys!!

73 Sanger Flat

You might look at my thread about my engine update and look at the Bullet Cam we did in it .. Just dyno this past weekend and it pulled some awesome numbers m but we did have some great heads and pieces on it also .. It is a 10.23:1 engine

Also check on Performance Boat site and get ahold of Chris Straub , I think he is the cam guru ..

Chevy2184

Oh I have been following your thread!! Killer bullet!! I just knew I wasn't going to be turning know where near that many rpm's? But maybe I can try to get a hold of someone at bullet cams? Just seemed like the guy at comp cams was taking the easy way out and trying to just get me off the phone?

jimsplace

Chevy2184 said:
Oh I have been following your thread!! Killer bullet!! I just knew I wasn't going to be turning know where near that many rpm's? But maybe I can try to get a hold of someone at bullet cams? Just seemed like the guy at comp cams was taking the easy way out and trying to just get me off the phone?

You're not the first to get that type of information.
It's similar to going in many auto parts stores where they ask what year car is this going to be used in.
When they are told it's going to be used for a boat, they point you to the nearest boat dealer.

In their defense, the way we use our boats is unique.
  :smile17:

Chevy2184

Ok called back to comp cams this morning and got a hold of someone that seems like they really wanted to help? And not just get me off of the phone? This looks a LOT more like what i was thinking?!!
e8877a35024f9941563979c1a3824608.jpg

TexasJet

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
You might look at my thread about my engine update and look at the Bullet Cam we did in it .. Just dyno this past weekend and it pulled some awesome numbers m but we did have some great heads and pieces on it also .. It is a 10.23:1 engine

Also check on Performance Boat site and get ahold of Chris Straub , I think he is the cam guru ..

Second that on Chris Straub. I have his cam in the motor in the CP.

galen

TexasJet said:

Second that on Chris Straub. I have his cam in the motor in the CP.
The cam Chris picked for Billys 601 was .780/.750 lift.  Duration at .050 275/289 on a 111. It was close to the cam we had already bought from Bullet. That is the only reason I did not go with the cam Chris chose. Billy can post it, I don't have his card in front of me.. Run your combo past Chris Straub you will not be disappointed.  Billys compression 10.23 to 1. Cranking pressure 152lbs.

Chevy2184

Just got off the phone with Chris... Seems like a real knowledgable guy!! And for sure seen some things he would do different than the comp guys were doing... He's going to work up some numbers for me and get back with me tomorrow... Thanks for the advice guys!! 👍👍

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like he will get you on the right path! Guess Disturbed needs to call him next! :smile30:

Chevy2184

Yeah talking with Chris yesterday the blueprint engine short block I got? Chris said he had just had lunch with the guy from blueprint and is going to start doing the cams for them instead of comp cams?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That's always nice, when you can hook up with companies that do business together! Kind of instills a feeling of trust. :smile16:

Chevy2184

Haha I think that 3/4 race cam might be more than my little boat can handle?? Chris did email me back today... He is waiting on some exhaust flow numbers on the heads... Hopefully find something out this week?? 👍👍

73 Sanger Flat

You right , that 3/4 race cam will be too much .. That is for an all out race boat ..Maybe the RV can would be better ..  think.gif

Carnivalride

You right , that 3/4 race cam will be too much .. That is for an all out race boat ..Maybe the RV can would be better ..  think.gif

Since I'm not a very serious racer I figured the 3/4 race cam was to big but I don't like to do anything halfway so I went with a 5/8 race cam and it was just the ticket.  crazy.gif jump.gif