broken pistons!!!!!!!

WHOA BABY

had water in oil, thinkin' head gasket... pulled heads and 2,3, and 6 pistons all broken at intake recess out!!!!!!!gotta do some research to see who made these aluminum pistons? still haven't found where my water is comin from, water pump housing? all gaskets looked good? any suggestions for ford 460 pistons? :smile21: :smile21:

Disturbed

I guess I should've read the post a little better.  :smile23:  too many dr. Peppers I guess.

If water is getting on top of the pistons, there's only a handful of ways that could happen.  A blown head gasket, header water coming in too early with a large, over-lapping cam, cracked heads or block, or rain water.  (it has happened). Did it get hot before it blew? 

WHOA BABY

head and intake gaskets good. maybe rain but I doubt it, keep 'er covered. maybe front plate leaking (water in oil) and grimlins on the pistons? jk. haven't checked front plate yet. three hard years on these pistons, maybe just that time. I'll know more when I quit kickin rocks and tear it down. thanks for the help

WHOA BABY

The biggest drawback of adding silicon to pistons is that the piston becomes more brittle as the ratio of silicon is added. This makes the piston more susceptible to cracking if the engine experiences pre-ignition or detonation. hypothisis?

duanehydro

There are tons of articles out there on this topic.....here is a good one, that I agree with.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/102390-piston-choice-hypereutectic-vs-forged.html

HTRDLNCN

Never had good luck with hyperpathetics , great for a mild build
but thats about all I would use them for.
One of the reason the 86-92 5.0HO Mustang engine was so popular was the factory forged pistons, throw nitrous or boost at them and they take it in stride.
Once they went to hyperpathetics in 93 in the 5.0HO and later in the 4.6 Mod motors they were breaking pistons left and right as soon as you modded them .