Brazos River Rat Damages

73 Sanger Flat

I tried a few times this morning to post a couple of pictures of the drive line failure pictures , but it does not want to load them for me this morning ..
I lost a clip on the U Joint and the u joint cap slid out and caught the bell housing and broke the bell housing in two pieces .. The boat vibrated  really bad for about 20 seconds when I was just cruising about 30-40 mph .. Then I shut it down and it would not start then . Wave for Tony to pull me in with his Jet ski .. Looked back and I could see the bell housing was broke pretty bad .. It sucks this happen , but I am so lucky that this did not happen under full power and on a hard run .. It would have gotten nasty quick .. I am not sure why the clip decide the come out , those u joints have been in the boat for about 5 years and they were full of grease .. I guess it was just time for it to pop off .. ..
New drive shaft will be made this week and JJ is working on the bell housing also .. Does anyone have a bell housing that would work for this .. I can email the pics to some one if maybe they can get them to post .. I would like to get a spare bell housing now just to have ..  What is starnge , the two manual oil and temp gauge I had mounted on the bell housing broke .. The needle in one of them is actually bent .. It muct have shoock pretty bad back there ..  Again *- I am so lucky
Also wanted to thank Tony and Pam for the hospitality , so I left and did not say bye .. You guys was out playing in the miniature picklefork Liberator ,, Cool little boat ..

Chevy2184

Billy if that's the only thing that happened I for sure think you were pretty lucky! With that kind of power stuff can go south in a hurry! A driveshaft and a bell housing is a small price to pay! In the big scheme of things! Glad that's all that happened! I can post the pics for you if you want? Fowler2184@yahoo.com

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

73 Sanger Flat

Chevy2184 said:
Billy if that's the only thing that happened I for sure think you were pretty lucky! With that kind of power stuff can go south in a hurry! A driveshaft and a bell housing is a small price to pay! In the big scheme of things! Glad that's all that happened! I can post the pics for you if you want? Fowler2184@yahoo.com

I feel very lucky .. I sent the pics to your email -- Thanks

Chevy2184

Pics loaded for billy...

43efd7af96896460686e26ef7961ab28.jpg
af5b0cf75d2068033e726587b16d0352.jpg
0c544432595941ab39db358e80ae1c7b.jpg
bd55a7e88beef3f48f6f68c76bd5f159.jpg

73 Sanger Flat

Thanks Jason
If anyone has one of these bell housing that is in good condition let me know .. JJ will fix mine , but I want a spare now ..

jimsplace

Sorry to hear about the boat, but at least it looks like a fairly easy fix.
Of course it's always easier when it's someone else's.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get the boat in the water, so how was the good part?
In other words, How was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
    :smile17:

73 Sanger Flat

The short time I was in the boat , it was fun .. Did not get to lay down any good runs .. A couple of 1/8 miles maybe .. Best mph was 93 on the GPS .. It was pulling hard .. Too much prop burn though ..Sure could use that prop you have on the shelf collecting dust ..

Knotty Girl

Sorry to hear about this, lucky that was all. On another note I think you almost tear up as much stuff as I do. think.gif

73 Sanger Flat

I been told I am hard on boat parts by a few people .. This time I was not abusing it and I am so happy i was not standing on it when it let go .. It scared the crap out of me..  I though I lost a prop ear or maybe the strut .. never thought about the drive shaft ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you are still floating! Sounds like the new mill is putting out some power. think.gif

jimsplace

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
The short time I was in the boat , it was fun .. Did not get to lay down any good runs .. A couple of 1/8 miles maybe .. Best mph was 93 on the GPS .. It was pulling hard .. Too much prop burn though ..Sure could use that prop you have on the shelf collecting dust ..

Were you able to use the replay on your tach to see what the prop burn was, or are you going by feel?
93 in 1/8th and still pulling and I assume probably still some on the down peddle.
It sounds like there may be some potential there.
  :smile17:

galen

He knocked a couple more years off my life. All I got was a picture of a broken flywheel housing saying something came apart. A lot goes through your mind waiting on the long distance diagnosis. All considered, glad that was it.

73 Sanger Flat

galen said:
He knocked a couple more years off my life. All I got was a picture of a broken flywheel housing saying something came apart. A lot goes through your mind waiting on the long distance diagnosis. All considered, glad that was it.
Sorry Galen .. You can imagine what was going through my mind .. I thought at first it broke the crank in half or something like that .. Tony wanted to tear it apart in his drive way to find out what it was.. I wanted to wait and take it at apart at home .. I had a sunken feeling when it started the vibration and then it broke the bell housing ..

73 Sanger Flat

jimsplace said:
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:

Were you able to use the replay on your tach to see what the prop burn was, or are you going by feel?
93 in 1/8th and still pulling and I assume probably still some on the down peddle.
It sounds like there may be some potential there.  :smile17:
Jim - I did not hit the record on the tach so I have no data on the RPM .. It was just doing the short 1/8 mile test and burn out to make sure it was going to go straight .. Once I knew it was going to be good , then I was going to record the last run to see what it was doing .. Yes I was still on the down pedal most of the run.. I think once I get some smooth water , it is going to run good .. I may need to adjust on the plate some .. But one thing at a time ..

73 Sanger Flat

This is sure messing with my head .. I just keep thinking what if that came apart at wide open throttle and making a hard run .. I was just making a 1/8 mile pass about 45 seconds before it came apart .. I have never been scared of any of my boats , but this has me thinking now .. I have seen what happen to these flats when something like this happens and it is not pretty .. I guess I will just have to see how I feel when i put it back in the water next time .. Might be for sale soon ..

Chevy2184

Billy I think you are over thinking this hole deal a little? Things can happen in a Jon boat if you are not paying attention? Or on the highway? Or in the back yard? Or in the bedroom? 😎 ( that ones a long story) really all we can do is know our equipment and trust in what we have put together... Sounds like you just lost a little trust? Once you get that puppy buttoned back together, and you give it a good once over for any other unforeseen moving parts? And get a few more passes on it... The trust will come back! And you will be flogging the chit out of it in no time!! It shows you have respect for the boat being a little nervous! And that is a good thing! But unforeseens happen every day! Can't look back or worry about that stuff to much? Or you'll never leave the house! Lol take care of your equipment and it will take care of you!! Mash on it!! 😎

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Chevy2184 said:
Billy I think you are over thinking this hole deal a little? Things can happen in a Jon boat if you are not paying attention? Or on the highway? Or in the back yard? Or in the bedroom? 😎 ( that ones a long story) really all we can do is know our equipment and trust in what we have put together... Sounds like you just lost a little trust? Once you get that puppy buttoned back together, and you give it a good once over for any other unforeseen moving parts? And get a few more passes on it... The trust will come back! And you will be flogging the chit out of it in no time!! It shows you have respect for the boat being a little nervous! And that is a good thing! But unforeseens happen every day! Can't look back or worry about that stuff to much? Or you'll never leave the house! Lol take care of your equipment and it will take care of you!! Mash on it!! 😎

clap.gif