BBF timing question

Crusader

Got a BBF question for ya. My motor is .030 over, mild cam, single plane intake and a holley 850 DP carb. The ignition is a DUI 7000 HEI dizzy, timing set to 28 degrees at 3,000 rpm.....basically a tad over stock motor.

I'm pushing about 4,800rpms WOT with an A impy. I know theres more in the motor. I've heard that BBF motors love 30-32 degrees total timing. Besides R & Ring motor with a chebby.....do you thinking bumping up the timing to 30-32 degrees might help gain a few more RPM? I won't do anything to the motor until Friday.....but am researching the issue now.

Disturbed

Interrupt the ignition power with a toggle switch.  Get it cranking then, flip the switch.  Or, go all fancy and get a start retard box. 

duanehydro

Or the advance mechanism frozen? Most aftermarket dist. have 20* advance, so initial timing @12*= 32* total, if working properly. If it only has, say 10* advance, initial would have to be 20*, possibly causing the hard crank situation. What is the timing at idle? think.gif

Crusader

I initially set the timing to 10 degrees at idle...and at 3000 rpm it was at 28 degrees. I think DUI set the dwell at 24 degrees... so wouldn't I have 34 degree total timing?

The dizzy is not locked out.

The balancer is keyed and I marked 10 degrees with a sharpy.

Crusader

Patchman said:
Then you have more compression than me, so I think more timing should help. :smile30:

Oh okay. Thanks man.

I'm picking up a new timing light today and will work on it this weekend.

Thanks!