Axle Question....

Devilman

Just throwing this out there, see what ya'll think, cuz I'm really not sure.

Thinking about putting together a utility type trailer. Nothing major, mainly big enough to haul the riding mower if I need to, limbs, stuff like that.

I've got a Dana 60 rear end out of a late 70's Ford 3/4 ton. I was thinking about relocating the spring pads & putting them under the axle, so it would be closer to the ground. My question is could I just save myself all the hassle & flip it over, run the axle upside down basically?

C'mon people, whatcha got.... :grin: Thanks....

sturat

Devilman said:
Just throwing this out there, see what ya'll think, cuz I'm really not sure.

Thinking about putting together a utility type trailer. Nothing major, mainly big enough to haul the riding mower if I need to, limbs, stuff like that.

I've got a Dana 60 rear end out of a late 70's Ford 3/4 ton. I was thinking about relocating the spring pads & putting them under the axle, so it would be closer to the ground. My question is could I just save myself all the hassle & flip it over, run the axle upside down basically?

C'mon people, whatcha got.... :grin: Thanks....
My .02 worth seems like you could sell the dana 60 for a few bucks and go buy an axel kit with hangers and sprins for about 100.00 and use the left over scratch from the dana to pay for you materials need to buid the little trailer.
But if you do not want to deal with that yes just flip the b*** over and call it a day. I did something simaliar on my utility trailer that i bulit the axel was bulit with a bend in it like a v when installed the proper way i could not clear the fenders so i flipped it over and still use it that way and that was 8 years ago.

73 Sanger Flat

On the Dana , what about the vent on top ?

Find you a old boat trailer and use it to make a trailer, find one that tilts and it would work easy for loading the lawnmower

Devilman

Cool, thanks for the replies...

Stu:  I probably couldn't even get that for the axle honestly. Its nothing special, 3.54 geared open differential. Have pretty much all the materials too, other than lumber if I went with a wood floor. Figured if I used what I had, it'd give me something different to do & it would get some spare parts out of the grass, lol... :grin: Thanks for the info, I'll probably give it a whirl. :smile15:

Cody:  That's true, straight axle would be lighter. Thing is, I have some bitchin' 8 lug slots layin up in the building so I planned on using them, lol.... :smile13: I appreciate the offer for the axle & boat trailer, too. I'll let ya know what happens. :cool:

Billy:  Good call on the vent, didn't think of that at all.... Thought about a boat trailer too, like you & Cody said. We have one out there that would be a good candidate, just have to get rid of the 16' Ebbtide thats sittin on it. It has seen better days & don't think my dad will ever try & get it running again, so I haven't ruled that out.

Duane:  Ouch, yeah, I didn't think about the pinion bearing either. That would definitely be bad. Wonder if I couldn't just yank the pinion & cap the hole? Leave the carrier bolted in to still carry the axles....

I dunno, like I said, just kickin it around right now. I'm bored today, lol. :grin:

oldbuck40

Devilman said:
Cool, thanks for the replies...

Stu:  I probably couldn't even get that for the axle honestly. Its nothing special, 3.54 geared open differential. Have pretty much all the materials too, other than lumber if I went with a wood floor. Figured if I used what I had, it'd give me something different to do & it would get some spare parts out of the grass, lol... :grin: Thanks for the info, I'll probably give it a whirl. :smile15:

Cody:  That's true, straight axle would be lighter. Thing is, I have some bitchin' 8 lug slots layin up in the building so I planned on using them, lol.... :smile13: I appreciate the offer for the axle & boat trailer, too. I'll let ya know what happens. :cool:

Billy:  Good call on the vent, didn't think of that at all.... Thought about a boat trailer too, like you & Cody said. We have one out there that would be a good candidate, just have to get rid of the 16' Ebbtide thats sittin on it. It has seen better days & don't think my dad will ever try & get it running again, so I haven't ruled that out.

Duane:  Ouch, yeah, I didn't think about the pinion bearing either. That would definitely be bad. Wonder if I couldn't just yank the pinion & cap the hole? Leave the carrier bolted in to still carry the axles....

I dunno, like I said, just kickin it around right now. I'm bored today, lol. :grin:
Kenny i did that to a 76 "FORD"  :grin: longbed! we just took the pinion out of the 9" and capped it! works just fine!

TahitiRat

You might want to take a nother look at that axle first, 78,79 and may be 77 ford dana 60s draw a good price in the 4x4 crowd. A guy at work just gave 800 for a ford dana 60 and said it was a good deal. If it is the high pinion you might get some pritty good coin for it, the guy from work said he saw them for around 1300 and was willing to pay that. Might be worth looking at.

Devilman

TahitiRat said:
You might want to take a nother look at that axle first, 78,79 and may be 77 ford dana 60s draw a good price in the 4x4 crowd. A guy at work just gave 800 for a ford dana 60 and said it was a good deal. If it is the high pinion you might get some pritty good coin for it, the guy from work said he saw them for around 1300 and was willing to pay that. Might be worth looking at.

Yeah, but this is a rear dana 60, not a steering axle. The rear ends are pretty much dime a dozen around here.

I know what you mean about drawing some coin. Last 4x4 I had, I finally found a high pinion dana 60 front end, paid $500 bucks for it & needed all the outer hardware replaced. Fixed it & had a Sterling 10.25 single wheel 1 ton axle in the back. NP435 4spd/NP205 transfer case, all the good stuff. Sold that truck for $2400 bucks less engine, drivetrain was worth close to double that, but what ya gonna do, right? Right people come along though & you got a gold mine, lol.....

So, you know some 4x4 guys? I do have some other stuff I been wanting to get rid of. Cody/Coonass does too. Anybody up there needs some hardware, get with me or Cody. Hate to just have the stuff sittin around when somebody could be gettin some good use out of it. :cool:

TahitiRat

The guy I work with has a old bronco I was kickin around getin but dont know, not a lot of good wheelin close that I can tell . The guy from work is doin a tj right now should be a searious trail rig,  I dont know what he still needs I'll see. Didnt think about it being a rear end workin and typin dont, I always think. :smile12: