Anyone ever heard of this ??

spd500

I was hard at work here at the shop the other day , polishing my scoop . On eof my drivers was hanging out stealing whatever he could off of everyone's plate and watching me polish . He got to telling me that he used to polish tanks on big trucks back before he started driving and that an old man he worked with showed him a trick to make the polishing alot easier . I really thought he was screwing with me , but I gave it a try anyway . You polish the part just like you normally would , but intstead of rubbing the polish off with a rag you throw some flour on it and then rub it off with the rag . Sounds crazy , but instead of rubbing till your arm is about to fall off the polish sticks to the flour and comes right off . I have been playing around with it and it really works good . If you keep rubbing the flour with the polish in it on the piece it will take the swirl marks out that are left when using a polishing wheel . Just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of it , or if anyone else has any tricks to make polishing easier and faster ?

Devilman

yep.... been doing that for awhile now. I posted some pics on here awhile back & people thought I was fukkin with 'em... :grin:

heard that trick same place you did, from a truckdriver. These guys all had killer rigs & anything aluminum was shiny as chrome, so figured they knew what they was talkin about. :wink: :cool:

Devilman

Oh & just to add to that, if you want to make polishing aluminum easier & faster, I'm gonna play the Mike card here & say: "Chrome it!" :grin:

Devilman

Duanehydro said:
NOW ya'll tell the secrets.....just finished with all my stuff. :angry:

Haha, yeah right, I posted pics of the slots I polished using that trick & nobody believed me. That was at least a year ago.... :kiss: :grin:

spd500

I don't remember seeing it when you posted it before , but it sure is a neat trick to save soem rubbing on your stuff . Hopefully I can get everything looking good and spray that stuff Duanne was talking about on EVERYTHING , not have to mess with it again . They say 10 years , but you might have to find the boats next owner to find out about that . I never seem to keep them that long .

Devilman

Its been awhile, it was the slots that I bought from George when he made his trailer into a tandem axle. They were pretty grungy so I pulled the old tires off & polished them up before gettin tires put back on & puttin them on my trailer.

I looked through all my old posts & couldn't find the thread. Probably got deleted when they had one of their site meltdowns or something.  :tongue: In one of the pics, there was a small bag of flour on the table in the pic with the rim. People asked me about the flour & it went on from there. Thing is, I have since deleted the pics off my computer here at work or I'd post them again.

Anyway yeah, neat trick for sure. Doesn't take much, just a sprinkle before the polish dries. :grin:

One thing that strikes me as odd, is that I don't use one particular polish for everything. One brand works real well on one thing, while not so much on something else... I guess its something in the makeup of what I'm working on? Rims, scoop, etc... To tell ya the truth, I'm trying to get away from having anything aluminum that needs polishing.  :lipsrsealed:

duanehydro

I know what you mean, I have 4 different products for polishing... :smile15:

lol....expect me to remember a post from a year ago.... :cheesy: I can't remember what was posted yesterday, unless randall posts. :grin:

Devilman

hahaha, yep, I hear ya... Truck driver with an eye for the bling gave me some polish, its a pink liquid, real, thin & watery... called "What A Shine!"... That is what I have been using on stuff for a quick polish lately. Seems like if I'm polishing wheels, Mothers works the best. On my scoop: Blue Magic, the liquid, not the stuff in the can..... The bottle has a pic of a jetboat or a vdrive on it, so how can you go wrong? :grin:

spd500

I have been playing with some stuff from the Peterbuilt parts house here in Houston . The brand name is Zephyr , thier web site is www.zephyrpro40.com  . They have all sizes and shapes of buffing wheels and a complete line of poishes and rouges and seem to be pretty good . I also have the old standby products as well , Mothers , White Diamond , and Blue Magic . The scoop I have been working on is the same scoop as the one on Kenny's Avenger , maybe I should try the Blue Magic on it . But my Blue Magic is the paste kind not the bottle kind .

Devilman

Best stuff I ever used was kind of a pale green stuff. Homemade stuff that mainly liquid jewelers rouge mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. Stuff kicked azz, went on like water & buffed way easy.

I've seen the jewelers rouge "sticks" in different colors: green, white, pink..... haven't seen the liquid around much. Haven't really looked though. Buddy of mine that was detailing cars awhile back tried to copy that green homemade stuff, by grinding a stick of that green rouge into powder then mixing it, but never could get it quite right. It was too aggressive and left scratches, would have to go over it with something else to get rid of the swirl marks....

spd500

The rouge that I have is a stick , the polish they make is a pale green liquid . The rouge is supposed to be used only with high speed polishing wheels and is useless by hand . You run the wheel at high speed and then kinda buff the stick with it and it gets onto the wheel . I am really not that impressed with the rouge for large items though , it builds up alot of crap on the wheel pretty quick .

spd500

What is Wenol ? A type pf polish , or something different .  :smile21:

Talked to a chrome shop about just having a few things chromed and figured out real quick that this stuff is going to be polished and coated . About $1100 for just the shiny stuff on my little motor is just too much  :smile18:

Devilman

never used it, but heard good things about Wenol.... also there is some stuff called Metal Wax, there is a thread on PB with some pictures & stuff. Supposed to be pretty badass. Showed a before & after of a prop spinner on an airplane, some Centerline wheels on a drag car, etc....

spd500

found it , don't think I hve ever heard of it before , where can you buy it ?

Wenol.jpg