ANY IDEAS

Don

Took the boat to Somerville Saturday morning and below is what happened the bottom part of the piston is partially gone along with part of the ring I thought I may have flooded the headers with water and lost a valve as you can see in the photo the valves are fine Any Ideas?

Attachments

• #4 VALVE.jpg
    #4 VALVE.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 228

shimp

Small pictures FTL.

Not an expert, but would guess if it was in a boat, water got into that cylinder, probably from the exhaust valve, and the water being in there broke the rings which is how the oil got in there.

Don

the first pass was good ran it up to 70 mph  all was fine except not enough water to the headers so i opened the gate valve a little more after that adjustment water was good
we did another pass and i noticed it hesitated a little on take off got it up to 6800 rpms and it back fired and started running like crap limped back to rocky creek and loaded it up no compression on 4 & 6 but 6 is ok just blew the head gasket

Shimp you told me you heard a squeaking sound coming from my boat when i was towing you in at gibbons well the squeaking got worse just before the 2 cylinders died

southwind854

My best guess is you sucked alittle to much h2o in that cyclinder. Note the specking of white on the cylinder head and piston face. If this was caused by detonation you would see that both valves would be white and a more spread out pattern across the piston face. Note the specking near the spark plug hole and away from the outer valve faces.

Disturbed

Hard to tell from the small pic but, it looks to me like you may have injested some type of hardware.  This could also explain the squeaking or whistling.  IE carb pieces.  Just a guess....

think.gif

Don

Its back on the engine stand i just need some time to get it over to the machine shop should be running again by mid march  :smile13:

Don

everything above the heads is ok thats the first thing i checked no missing bolts or screws anywhere

mr rogers

man that sucks, it really looks like water has gotten in there to me. you say you were up to 6800 when it happened, i am thinking way to much water pressure might have caused it. do you have a pressure regulator for your incoming water ? just my opinion mike

You for sure had a head gasket blowed, and has been blowed! you can tell by the pic of the block beside the cylinder the badly burned marks on each side of number 4 cyl. Between 2 and 4 worse then then between 4 and 6, witch might have recently happend. But most likely where the water came from witch caused the detonation, and when rpm's 6800 means more water psi from pump to motor, leading to more water in the cylinder meaning not good news!

Oh the head shows the same sign!

My .02 :smile30:

southwind854

Mike S said:
You for sure had a head gasket blowed, and has been blowed! you can tell by the pic of the block beside the cylinder the badly burned marks on each side of number 4 cyl. Between 2 and 4 worse then then between 4 and 6, witch might have recently happend. But most likely where the water came from witch caused the detonation, and when rpm's 6800 means more water psi from pump to motor, leading to more water in the cylinder meaning not good news!

Oh the head shows the same sign!

My .02 :smile30

Note this is just from my Past experience but I've blower head gaskets on my pro mod by putting out a light at high rpm. Water I would believe could do the same thing as to much fuel on top of the piston correct.

Don

I do have a water regulator on the pump it maintains a steady 15 psi the head gasket was only blown between 4 and 6 going to replace 1 piston and sleeve the cylinder it'll work for this summer in the mean time I'm looking for a 502 block

Becket

Dont think water reversion at 6800 RPM is possible, after you tweeked the header valve did you Idle around? Could have gotten the water then and cracked the piston and it let go finaly on the big end, Looks to me like the Squeek that Shimp was hearing may have been compression swapping holes through blown Head Gasket. IMO.

I would also have that Rod checked to be sure it ain't tweeked also.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch! I'm with Mike S. Even a little water in the chamber ups the compression considerably. Definitely detonation damage! :smile20: Glad you have a plan to get her going again! clap.gif

southwind854

I know a month or two back ttj was selling a bow tie 502 for 750 loaded. I don't know if he still has it you might want to try and get ahold to him on the THB Facebook page he on there mostly everyday.