Alternator wiring

ChryslerJet

Crusader said:
They are brand new batteries but I have not had them tested.

Okay I think I've found the problem. Apparently when I put the motor in last year I the pos from the alternator to the negative on the battery. Bozo mistake for sure.

Once the batteries are charged, I'll hook it all up correctly and test it out. I should be too to go.

Um that should have been a dead short and melted some wires there.

Crusader

Nope....didn't happen. I hooked up the wire correctly and once the alternator was "excited", it started charging normally...and the gauge moved as it should.

ChryslerJet

Crusader said:
Nope....didn't happen. I hooked up the wire correctly and once the alternator was "excited", it started charging normally...and the gauge moved as it should.

Yeah just thought about it it would have been fine both the alternator ground and positive connected to ground the alternator wouldn't generate any voltage and therefore wouldn't excite itself and wouldn't be shorting out.  If it hadn't been a 1 wire then you could have had a melted wire or worse. 

Crusader

ChryslerJet said:
Crusader said:

Yeah just thought about it it would have been fine both the alternator ground and positive connected to ground the alternator wouldn't generate any voltage and therefore wouldn't excite itself and wouldn't be shorting out.  If it hadn't been a 1 wire then you could have had a melted wire or worse. 

Nailed it

jdeaton

Change the red wire to a black wire or a dark brown with a black stripe.  That should fix any problems.  LOL

Devilman

Crusader said:
ChryslerJet said:
Crusader said:

Nailed it

ya'll make a great team. ya'll do a high five yet? lol :cheesy: