Alternator wiring

Crusader

Do any of you guys have a wiring diagram for a "one wire" application?

I think I'm charging the batteries however my Voltage gauge doesn't indicate that I am like it used too...... I wanted to ohm out the wires and see if there's a break in one of them.

Thanks!

duanehydro

facepalm_jim_76437.jpg

you did hook up the 1 wire, right?...... :smile28:

Crusader

Actually...I have that part down....it's my gauge that's not reading a charge.....

I have two known good alternators...... both test good on the bench. Swapped them out and still the same thing.

KONA77

Check your terminals on the gauge and at your key switch and at the terminal block on the motor may have one that has vibed loose

Crusader

Since my rebuild last year, the gauge has been working funny...highly likely that I jacked it up somehow.....

Does anyone have a simple wiring diagram?? I'm using a one wire alternator.

KONA77

On mine it's a red wire from the alternator terminal on the connection block on back of
Motor  trace it to the front and check the connections

slowboat13

Do you have the wire from the regulator plug hooked to the hot? I think it has to be hooked up to "excite" the alternator.

duanehydro

Crusader said:
Actually...I have that part down....it's my gauge that's not reading a charge.....

I have two known good alternators...... both test good on the bench. Swapped them out and still the same thing.
Since we are shooting in the dark, have you had the batteries tested? 1 bad or shorted cell can steal the voltage away...but still work. Kinda a common deal with diesels.

Crusader

They are brand new batteries but I have not had them tested.

Okay I think I've found the problem. Apparently when I put the motor in last year I the pos from the alternator to the negative on the battery. Bozo mistake for sure.

Once the batteries are charged, I'll hook it all up correctly and test it out. I should be too to go.