Adding Audio System to a boat that doesn't have anything in it now.

SyTy Speed Shop

OK, my new to me boat doesn't have any kind of audio system, never had one as far as I can tell.  At first I thought I would just use a Sirius Sat Radio Boombox I have for audio as its small and will get good reception out on the open water, but its not very loud.

So when cruising I don't think I'd be able to hear it. Anything special about setting up an audio system on a boat that's different from a car, other than using marine rated components and water proofing the connections.

ChryslerJet

Knotty said:
Two batteries with a perko switch is a must.  think.gif
Yup

One of those needs to be a starting battery and one a deep cycle.

I got me a perko switch for when the CJ is done.

TexasJet

The speakers must be mounted more securely than in a car. They have to withstand the pounding in a boat versus in a car. That's the big difference I found in my boat. What type of system are you looking at? Something like 4 speakers and a subwoofer?

SyTy Speed Shop

TexasJet said:
The speakers must be mounted more securely than in a car. They have to withstand the pounding in a boat versus in a car. That's the big difference I found in my boat. What type of system are you looking at? Something like 4 speakers and a subwoofer?

Yeah, probably just 4 speakers, i was thinking 2 pairs of 3 way 6x9's with a decent amp should be plenty.  I'm not one for lots of bass so i can do without the subs.

I was thinking 2 batteries would be a good idea, not sure what a perko switch is, so ill have to look into that. then the other question was how exactly to mount the speakers.  Buy some prefabbed boxes, or fab some boxes to mount them to the boat.  There is room in the dash to cut a hole to mount the head unit. 

TexasJet

A Perko switch lets you switch between battery #1 or #2 or use both. The idea is to use a deep cycle battery for the stereo as battery #1 and have a regular cranking battery as #2. That way you will always have a starting battery if you run down the stereo battery.

I bought the pre fabbed speaker boxes. They must be mounted very securely because when you add the weight of the speaker you have a lot of weight that wants to bounce around.

There are some batteries designed specifically for stereos. They are not cheap but you can play the stereo all day long and still start the motor. Check the local stereo shops for more info. Kenetic is the battery I bought for my system.

KONA77

I got a 4 speaker system in my boat,  and real happy with it,  didn't spend a lot on it thankfully,  cause all the other dipshits on the water that has swamped my boat has jacked it up,  and before smartasses say anything,  I've done all the steps to keep it dry  :smile16:

Crusader

When looking for a stereo head...try to find something that has a USB port and is Bluetooth capable. Most phones nowadays have your favorite music either stored on them or you have a music app. It's real easy to Bluetooth to the stereo from the device and have great sounding music.

Also....be sure the screen on the stereo head is viewable in the sunlight....makes a big difference when you're out on the water and fighting both the glare from the sun and it's reflection off of the water too.

Devilman

The radio my wife convinced me to finally put in the boat has the USB port, the aux. port, and a SD card slot. I had never seen that before & never even thought of putting music on an SD card. Turns out they will hold a ton of music. So thats what we use now if we are somewhere & there are no decent radio stations.

Yes, the radio, you read correctly. :grin:

ChryslerJet

Devilman said:
The radio my wife convinced me to finally put in the boat has the USB port, the aux. port, and a SD card slot. I had never seen that before & never even thought of putting music on an SD card. Turns out they will hold a ton of music. So thats what we use now if we are somewhere & there are no decent radio stations.

Yes, the radio, you read correctly. :grin:
That sounds similar to the head unit I have ready to go for the CJ.  One other thing I would recommend is to get one with a remote.  That way you can hide the unit away from prying eyes and water and just control it from the remote on the dash.  Some have wired remotes some have wireless.  Mine is wireless.

Devilman

Mine has a wireless remote as well, but usually don't work for chit. Not been a big deal, once its on I just let it roll.

KONA77

I've got a wired remote,  works good,  I have it mounted on the far left side of the dash,  nice to be able to control the music from both sides of the boat,  I think John has his remote mounted in the back of his,  that's nice too..

ChryslerJet

KONA said:
I've got a wired remote,  works good,  I have it mounted on the far left side of the dash,  nice to be able to control the music from both sides of the boat,  I think John has his remote mounted in the back of his,  that's nice too..
I didn't know 8 tracks came with remotes

KONA77

lol...  that was a good one,  btw,  looking for another Beach Boys...  I wore my other one out  :grin:

John

no matter what you do yore not gonna be able to hear it out over the wind noise especially in a low freeboard boat

KONA77

I don't even know why I put one in it,  I can never listen to it,  while cruising,  the girls just keep saying,  "turn it down we are trying to talk,  turn it down,  I can't hear what she's saying... bla bla bla"  :laugh:

Knotty Girl

KONA said:
I don't even know why I put one in it,  I can never listen to it,  while cruising,  the girls just keep saying,  "turn it down we are trying to talk,  turn it down,  I can't hear what she's saying... bla bla bla"  :laugh:

Dude your just begging to get into trouble. HUH  crazy.gif

KONA77

Knotty said:
KONA said:

Dude your just begging to get into trouble. HUH  crazy.gif

:smile16: