Abilene Dragway 1966

Dry Dock

I was here racing day this was taken.  Eddie Hill blow up dragster......... in my 20's then.....

http://texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=2013_02639

Devilman

That was cool, I love seeing old footage like that. What a time it was, I can only imagine...

whitetrash148

Saw the altered wheelbase Plymouths, may have been Fenner Tubbs car from Lubbock, This is before alum or fibre glass body panels, Tubbs entire body was acid dipped until paper thin, with no engine you could pickup front end by yourself. not too much safety concerns back then-not even a chiken wire fence

Devilman

whitetrash148 said:
Saw the altered wheelbase Plymouths, may have been Fenner Tubbs car from Lubbock, This is before alum or fibre glass body panels, Tubbs entire body was acid dipped until paper thin, with no engine you could pickup front end by yourself. not too much safety concerns back then-not even a chiken wire fence

I remember going to truck/tractor pulls in the 70's when I was kid & it was the same way, no fencing or barricades of any kind other than maybe some hay bales. People be sitting right at the edge of the track like it was nothing, lol...

Dry Dock

whitetrash148 said:

Room mate and I ran Fenner Tubbs, and Gene Snow and many more........ yep, acid dipped Dodge.........We picked up Dodge from Wayne Lovelady Dodge in Abilene.  Then later took to Ted DeTar for altered wheel base, motor set back, injectors etc. Lots of match races.  Room mates Dad paid the bills as we were just poor kids. I had my first auto parts selling job for NAPA. 
EO ran an early funny also.