65 Mandella floor

Malibu Surfer

Well, I'm making some progress on the Mandella. Got the floor gelcoated and Duratec'd... As you can see I had a real cloudy floor to work with and you can see some mat strands, etc.... I could have gone with a veneer floor, but this boat is gonna be used... I have a 2 1/2 year old and one in the oven, so why make it beautiful if it's gonna get trashed.... So I just 36 grit the floor, then 80 and then layed on three coats of black gell to the stingers and then layed on almost a gallon of clear Duratec over the entire floor and sides.....
Had a side project to paint as well.....

Attachments

• 53 chevy.JPG
    53 chevy.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 271

ChryslerJet

Malibu Surfer said:
Well, I'm making some progress on the Mandella. Got the floor gelcoated and Duratec'd... As you can see I had a real cloudy floor to work with and you can see some mat strands, etc.... I could have gone with a veneer floor, but this boat is gonna be used... I have a 2 1/2 year old and one in the oven, so why make it beautiful if it's gonna get trashed.... So I just 36 grit the floor, then 80 and then layed on three coats of black gell to the stingers and then layed on almost a gallon of clear Duratec over the entire floor and sides.....
Had a side project to paint as well.....

Looks good

Malibu Surfer

It does not really look that good, but should be tough as nails.... 46 year old floor :( 
What is under the black gel is about 4ft of cut dowels I had to use to fill in about 25 holes in the stringers!!! Have my angle alum ( 3/16) and start making a rail system in it...

ChryslerJet

Malibu Surfer said:
It does not really look that good, but should be tough as nails.... 46 year old floor :( 
What is under the black gel is about 4ft of cut dowels I had to use to fill in about 25 holes in the stringers!!! Have my angle alum ( 3/16) and start making a rail system in it...
Well as long as its strong enough we cant tell and it looks good to us.

Malibu Surfer

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to customers floors and projects, but I'm ok with this one on my own... Most of the floor is covered by seats anyways. :)
Will seat 5 and have approx. 550-575hp of BBC power. Velvet drive, logs / thru transom.. Bimini top.. Should be a nice cruiser ski boat ( hopefully )...
Want to go old school purple metal flake and white ( what it was originally )...
But one battle at a time ha,ha....

Malibu Surfer

Summer has just been a whirlwind with starting my business, side paint work/fabrication, vacation, and planning for little boy coming around Dec.1...
Not as far as I have wanted to get, but am making progress on Mandella.
Floor is all done, v-drive installed ( old school toploader with 17's ), rail system almost all buttoned up, cable steering all done and better than it was!! Now just waiting on buddy to finish motor and make some Aluminum fuel tanks, wire it up and see about interior.... Sounds simple, but lots of work ahead.... Just wanted to show I am getting something done and actually DO still have a boat, ha,ha....

jdeaton

There are  many of us on this site that have been walking down the same road.  It always takes more time to complete our projects but if we continue to keep at it and accomplish a little at a time, the final results will be that much sweeter.  Keep at it don't get discouraged.  Your project is really starting to take shape.  Wish you live closer, I'd love to help.  My simple Jet Boat took 2 years!  And I'm not finished yet.

spd500

Mine is not really finished either , but it is water ready . I am not sure any of them are ever really finished .

Malibu Surfer

DiamondJim,
We're still working at getting closer to you guys :smile30:
Yeah, the boat has been fun, frustrating, expensive, etc..( not my first boat so I knew what I was getting into to, ha,ha ), but the end result will be a great satisfaction - to see my kids enjoy it and the water, camping, BBQ, and just good family time!! That's why I chose this particular boat and got rid of the runner bottom. Fall is here, so getting close to the end of boating season for us, but good time to get indoors and work on it.... My number 1 this winter is my little one and new little one coming and wife... If I get ahead on the boat, that's just icing on the cake!!!!

Malibu Surfer

It's not that nice, just fairly clean inside now.... Outside needs pretty serious paint work from cracking paint, etc.... But a good solid project to start with... Mandella's were a one piece mold and made like tanks!!!!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Malibu Surfer said:
It's not that nice, just fairly clean inside now.... Outside needs pretty serious paint work from cracking paint, etc.... But a good solid project to start with... Mandella's were a one piece mold and made like tanks!!!!
One piece, I didn't know there was such a thing! That's really cool man! clap.gif :smile16:

Malibu Surfer

That's what I have researched on the Mandella's... I could jump up and down on the bow without worrying!!! They are a bit heavier layup, but perfect for a ski boat, and I hear they take chop fairly decent, and the same hull Bottom Lou Brummit raced back in the day ( "cap" was just changed for single seat ) so hopefully I picked a hull that kinda does it all.  :smile27: