23' Sanger Alley Cat redo

SimplyOrange

ChryslerJet said:
SimplyOrange said:
i got in the boat this weekend with plans to patch a few 2-4" holes that were under the tanks, when i stuck a screwdriver in them to clean the foam away to glass in the plugs i hit aluminum....so i cut the floor along the seams and found 2) 35 gallon fuel tanks under the floor on each side, filled with foam and water, because the top of the tanks were open, any water on the floor would run into the old foam filled tanks.  one of the previous idiot owners did this because the top seam on each tank had a long crack in it. so i removed those and all of the foam around them for a weight savings of about 450-500lbs. i have 6 trash bags of "great stuff" type foam i removed. so in going to add 2 braces on each side before i put the floor back, im running above floor tanks now. that may explain why he couldnt get the boat over 88mph
Sounds like you had yerself a backyard mechanic for a PO between the wiring and tanks who knows what else was done.

cant be anything else, its just a bare hull with 2 motors hanging on the back now.i have already wet over the motors and everything looks good and runs good. time for me to just bring it back up from the ground.

ChryslerJet

Mike S said:
What would be cool is to fix and put one of them tanks back in service!
Or send them both over here I can fix and modify them for the CJ.  Then I can get more storage under the deck instead of the gas tank taking up all that area.
:smile30:

SimplyOrange

ChryslerJet said:
Mike S said:
What would be cool is to fix and put one of them tanks back in service!
Or send them both over here I can fix and modify them for the CJ.  Then I can get more storage under the deck instead of the gas tank taking up all that area.
:smile30:

you pay shipping and you can have them, im not about to waste my time finishing cutting the top off and gutting the foam out of them then welding fill necks on them. i have 4) 17 gal floor mount aluminum tanks in perfect condition that were also in the boat , im just going to use those.

the tanks mount in each sponson, so id have to fix both.

cj, it also had an auxilliary 5tank in the front that i removed, it is meant for a shallow v hull and is 30 gal, and is in perfect condition with a fuel level sender in it, id sell you that one. its probably exactly what you need.

SimplyOrange

just found something kinda cool, i was looking at schematics for my motors and found that there were only 34 of them made, and i own 2 of them, mine are all original too never blown up other than 1 lower unit being rebuilt in 1998. i also found that mine was the magazine shoot boat (i believe the first 23' alley cat made) when they came out which is why it came original equipped with the race outboards.

ChryslerJet

SimplyOrange said:
just found something kinda cool, i was looking at schematics for my motors and found that there were only 34 of them made, and i own 2 of them, mine are all original too never blown up other than 1 lower unit being rebuilt in 1998. i also found that mine was the magazine shoot boat (i believe the first 23' alley cat made) when they came out which is why it came original equipped with the race outboards.

That is very cool.  Would be good to get your hands on the actual advertisement and keep in the documentation for the boat.  My wife said those motors were huge on that boat when she saw it.  Little does sh know but those props are nice.  I can't wait to see it on the water.

SimplyOrange

a little update, i been messing with the floors and such, they are ready for glass and that should be happening this weekend, then ill start covering the seat shells, making the rear seat and covering the side panels. i have been buying parts every week for it, im running a full AN fitting twin bosh 044 fuel system in it with brand new twin 53 gallon tanks.once i get it all mocked up i am going to strip it back down and paint the whole thing.

SimplyOrange

well i decided to pull the motors this weekend so i jumped in it tues and wed and knocked the floors out. came out way better than i expected.3 layers of woven cloth, which is 2 more than it originally had. i was considering putting a layer of chopped mat down today but its so smooth right now and this morning i jumped around in it and it feels solid.
paint is second nature to me so this project will shift into high gear next week with bodywork.
threw in a pic of my twin outboard work stand

SimplyOrange

Crusader said:
Man, that thing is coming along!!! Thanks for the update.

Think she'll be in the water this season????

probably not, i have a wedding in march. my plan is to have it painted before the beginning of the year and have it assembled the first part of next summer and work the bugs out next summer.

SimplyOrange

i been making a lot of progress redoing my engines, but i also had time to draw up my paint plans for my airbrush artists to start giving me some test panels.

SimplyOrange

i get side tracked on other projects but i just oredered a pair of HNr cowls. they are build smaller and more aerodynamic than standard cowls and have an added ram air scoop. i ordered them without decals so i can install what i want. my mid sections should be back from sand blasting tomorrow and hopefully i can get paint on them.

Attachments

• New%20HNR%20Drag%20Cowl%20016.jpg
    New%20HNR%20Drag%20Cowl%20016.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 115