2 speed powerglide conversion

Cid

I have a sanger v-drive and I am going to put a 2 speed powerglide in it but I dont know much about it just wondering if anyone has any info about what may have to be done to it. I got the tranny from another member of this site. I have the driveshaft and flywheel adapter. Is there anything i need to do to make it shift or can I shift it manually? I know the other member had the tranny rebuilt for his boat witch is also a sanger v-drive i dont know if he had the valve body modifided or anything. he said he didnt know how he was going too coo it or shift it. I have the cooling part covered I just need to know if there is anything I need to do to get it to shift. any info would be nice thanks

duanehydro

If that's the powerglide I used to have, I was planning on using this shifter...
11918tci-748011_w.jpg

It's small, light and easy to mount. That tranny came out of a rear engine dragster, should be full manual. You'll want to be extremely careful with reverse, and launch in 2nd. Use 1st for no-wake zones.To cool the unit, I suggest a water/oil intercooler,
coolin26.jpg
or a dragster-type fan/radiator setup.

coolin18.jpg

How's that for free input? :smile23:

Oh, and welcome to THB. :rolleyes:

pro53

Tom at Jetboat Performance had a th400 in his. Might call him for advice too. He's very helpful too  :grin:

Disturbed

Do you have a driveshaft yet?  My Kurtis project had a tranny in it and I'm going back without one.  If you have a longer drive shaft and are interested in swapping, let me know.  :smile15:

Cid

thanks fr the info guys i really appreciate it. where can I get one of those shifters? I already have a driveshaft that I think will work I still have my old one if you would like to buy it.

Disturbed

Cid said:
thanks fr the info guys i really appreciate it. where can I get one of those shifters? I already have a driveshaft that I think will work I still have my old one if you would like to buy it.

I'd love to unfortunately, I'm no where near ready for it and need to spend a ton of money on the rest of the project first.  I'll keep you in mind when I get to that point.  Good luck on your project!  :smile15:

Cid

Duanehydro said:
If that's the powerglide I used to have, I was planning on using this shifter...
It's small, light and easy to mount. That tranny came out of a rear engine dragster, should be full manual. You'll want to be extremely careful with reverse, and launch in 2nd. Use 1st for no-wake zones.To cool the unit, I suggest a water/oil intercooler, or a dragster-type fan/radiator setup.
How's that for free input? :smile23:

Did you sell your tranny to v-drive bob

Oh, and welcome to THB. :rolleyes:

duanehydro

Yes, that's it. Here is a link to the shifter   http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TCI%2D748011&N=700+115&autoview=sku

dinkyfeet

I`m puting a glide in my boat, got lots of help from Eddie Hill. I took park prawl out and madee it manual shift only. sounds like you`ve got cooling figured out. I don`t know how it works yet, I`m still rebuilding the boat.

Cid

yeah I have cooling down and I think i am going to get that shifter that duane has up there now I just have to fabricate up some support brackets and it shuld be good to go. hey duane do you know if this tranny is a forward or reverse shift pattern?

duanehydro

Cid said:
yeah I have cooling down and I think i am going to get that shifter that duane has up there now I just have to fabricate up some support brackets and it shuld be good to go. hey duane do you know if this tranny is a forward or reverse shift pattern?

Hold the phone-
1419336_14_1.gif
I just found you a much cheaper shifter...If you don't mind black. And it's forward.(or was)
http://www.jrmotorsports.com/product.cfm?InvKey=29018 have a nice day.

Cid

sweet but does that come with the linkages. oh and im sorry I keep coming up with more questions that transmission has 2 levers on it I know one is to shift it but what is the other one for is it like the kickdown or something??? i  will admit it I dont know much about transmissions. lol

Cid

TCI makes a clutch pedal kit for powerglides with fully manual valve bodies will I need one of those?

duanehydro

Cid said:
TCI makes a clutch pedal kit for powerglides with fully manual valve bodies will I need one of those?

No, It'll spin the prop as you engage it, just like a gearbox...sounds like you have everything planned. Good luck!

RandyJET

:smile15: :smile15:I have a nice compact heat exchanger for tranny oil to water that would work good you can run it closed loop or direct lake draw.