1/2 Filled block in a jet boat?

Esabataj Jr

Hey guys, got a question.  My old mans engine is too badly rust pitted for use.  I have another block prepped and ready to use his rotating assembly in, but its been 1/2 filled with moroso block filler.  Anybody ever used a filled block in a jet boat application? Its only up to about the freeze plug level so top of cylinders and combustion chambers should have sufficient cooling.  I'm thinking it may have a bit more oil temp.  I could always plumb an oil cooler in.  What do y'all think :smile21:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good question. I'm sure someone will have some experience on that. think.gif think.gif

73 Sanger Flat

I would try and stay away from a filled blocked .. My BBC (516) was filled to the bottom of the water pump holes and the oil temp would get over 300 really quick .. If you plan to run it for a lake boat I would try and stay away from a filled block .. I installed an oil cooler also and it still would climb up past 300 pretty fast .. This is just my experience with one ..

Devilman

Big Rick had a filled block in one of his boats & I believe they had the same experience as Billy... Got too hot too quick to be any good for anything other than a few passes at a time, no good for just running around.

What bore does the block need to be Matt, if you have to find another one to use with that rotating assembly?

*edit* oops saw the next post, it's 30 over...

Devilman

Saw this 460 on Craigslist in San Antonio, says make offer... not sure if its something you can use...

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/d/fordand-trans/6418089208.html

Devilman

Copy that on the sleeves, if done right, I'd think it would be fine. I was gonna offer the block I have, but it is .030 already & probably have to be bored to clean it up. Not sure a hone would take care of it if you trying to stay at that bore size

Esabataj Jr

I appreciate it Kenny.  If I can stay with the .30 overbore I wont have to buy a 1000 dollar set of pistons.  In the mean time, if anyone sees a good deal on a fresh machined block let me know.

Devilman

No problem Matt, will do. That was one thing Richard told me in the past about building that 521... that if anything ever happened to it, the block would be savable & he'd still be able to bump it out to .060 & build a 557 out of it. But I know what you mean about spending the extra money if you can avoid it.

farmo83

At the risk of asking a stupid question, what is the block filled with and why would you do it ? I've never heard this ?

Esabataj Jr

In racing applications they fill the coolant jackets with an almost concrete like mixture to help strengthen the block in high hp situations....  I.E.  big boost, nitrous, etc.  Cooling isn't an issue due to short run times.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like sleeving it would be the best option. Any good machine shop should knock that out for you no problem. Keep us informed as to what you do! We need a good build thread here! clap.gif clap.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Esabataj Jr said:
You bet patch!  Gonna be a special build for sure.
Yes, I have discussed BBf many times with your dad. I know he was proud of that mill! Glad to see it going back together again! :smile30: