New tall deck project

Chevy2184

Ok guys... I want to put me a tall deck together for my eliminator bubble deck. 540 or 555? Wanting really a good 650 to 700hp fun lake boat motor that will live a long heathy life? Their are people ALL over the web selling short block kits anywhere from 4k to 6k? Looks like almost everybody is using the dart block? And either scat or eagle cranks? Found one site that will do the machine work on the block and send you the parts to assemble? Witch sounded pretty good as I could take to my machine shop just to double check all the clearances? I have a good set of 781 heads that have already had the bigger valves installed and have been smoothed out and cleaned up on the runners.. I know their are better heads out their but I have them and would like to use them? I don't think the hp numbers I'm trying to reach I would have to have a 3k set of heads? Something around 10 to 11-1 compression? And have been looking into maybe running a enderle injection on maybe e85? Just want to build this puppy once? I know you guys on here have built hell prob blew up more motors than I have built? And this will be my first tall deck? So any input I'm all ears!! Not trying to build a all out race motor... Just some good dependable hp...

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Chevy2184

cceaa09b49717282a85213300777380f.jpg

This is the injection I was thinking about?

Chevy2184

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BBC-BIG-BLOCK-CHEVY-555-DART-SHORT-BLOCK-KIT-FORGED-CRANK-RODS-9-1cc-PISTONS-/330950123305

And the tall deck kit I found?

jimsplace

I don't think you need to get exotic for the horsepower you're looking for.
If you're thinking about using e85 you may need to use a higher compression ratio than listed, but
I also don't think you need e85 for you're horsepower.
  :smile17:

Chevy2184

That's why I'm asking all the questions that I can? And appreciate all info... Just want a good running stump pulling motor...

Chevy2184

The motor I had in the boat was about 550hp? And not quit enough on the big end to run the droop? I would start to get a little bounce out of it when it started topping out? I know I will have to get the aluminum impeller out of their? But it already has a stuffer and a inducer? I think another 100 to 150hp the little boat would run just fine? Maybe let it spin just a few more rpm's?

FL350

Administrator
I agree with Jim on this one.  In our race boat we run a 427 chevy, single 4150 carb, nothing exotic...Class rules won't allow it and it put out a little over 600hp on the dyno..

Chevy2184

Ok the guys at skip white performance are telling me I would be prob wasting my time using the 781 castiron heads on that much cubic inch?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Mike.s should have some combos for you. There's allot of BBC's in his camp, and all of them make good power! :smile30:

I've built A LOT of high hp bbc and made great power on pump gas and been really reliable, BUT fast and reliable don't come cheap! But like you said if you do it. Right the first time you will be happy!! My biggest advice is don't skimp out on the parts! Do it once even if it takes a little longer! Run what you have and then swap when finished!

Now I do have a nasty little combo if you interested at a really good cost and you will have a awesome nice piece! And some of the best money can buy! And you can chose you poison on set up!! Race or lake pump gas either way it will make a ton of torque and power!  Here's what I have,

Nice dart block, Callie's 4.500 crank, lunati rods, cam, lifters, brodix big Brodie NRC heads, (flow 450 fresh ready to go from NRC (gave 10k. To have built really nice), Jessel valve train, with push rods, intake, only thing I don't have is pistons, Jessel belt, and oil pan and all your bolt on's! motor WILL make 850- 900 on 10.1 pistons on a single carb!! If you want less power lower the compression to 7.1 or 8.1 and then if you ever want to go blower it will be ready to go! Just bolt it on! He'll even with 7.1 i know it will make 750 or more! I've done built to many the same way! All pump gas! Or go 13.1 and it'll make 1100 hp! Any how it's all great parts! All parts have all been check out by machines shop and or low runs! $8500 for everything just put it together how you want! Anyhow give me a call if interested 2816915807 Mike

Chevy2184

That's one good looking power plant!! Think I'm going to be able to work something out with mike to get me a hell for stout short block...

copterzach

Chevy2184 said:
That's one good looking power plant!! Think I'm going to be able to work something out with mike to get me a hell for stout short block...

Check out Nyes Automotive.    Built my 540 for me.   

Sent from my iPad   
Aggie Class of '97