Vdrive steering

Disturbed

I have a Calgo steering system in my boat and it is attached to a rudder quadrant.  After reading up a little on the Calgo system, they were designed to be used with a tiller arm but, can be used with a quadrant.  I'm thinking about changing over to the tiller arm.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Are there any down sides to a tiller arm?  Thanks! 

KONA77

Disturbed,  as you learn more about this stuff,  keep this thread up to date with what you learn,  I will need it as the future unfolds  :smile30:

73 Sanger Flat

No experience with that , are you having trouble ? If not I would not change it .. All my V-Drives have had the same system and I had no problem except the rudder key fell out of the quadrant once

You can alway call JJ and get his opinion

I think my old SKi Nautiuqe is set up with a tiller arm ..

jimsplace

Most of the v-drive performance boats have the chain, cable and quadrant steering.  My guess is it is lighter in weight than other systems, it is pretty basic and simple along with durable.  You can also check for wear or defective cable easily.  The rack and pinion has a cable inside an outer layer making it impossible to see the inner cable until it breaks.  That in itself can become a surprise.

It seems the steering system takes a beating during use.  Even though it is not unpleasant when driving you can certainly feel the constant hammering.  I always wanted to have one that used a steering box similar to the Vega, that would eliminate much of the torque found in the steering wheel.  It only takes money and the time to engineer the system.