Under water gear inspection

Disturbed

I think this is where the old website based forum excels above FB.  Let's talk about how and how often you check the part of your boat that will kill you.  For Knotty Racing, we check the prop and strut after/before every pass.  We do this utilizing two methods; dye penetrant and measuring the prop for movement.  I'll add some pictures of what we found in the past to help illustrate.

Disturbed

We have a cracked prop here.  That tiny pink line is the crack.  It is NOT noticeable without the dye penetrant. 

Disturbed

We found a crack in the barrel of the strut and got it welded.  That weld failed a few passes later.

Attachments

• 2A34D1DB-DDB3-4B82-AA9C-FC2C9D20EC2D.jpeg
    2A34D1DB-DDB3-4B82-AA9C-FC2C9D20EC2D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • 92420C82-9767-48B7-A273-93858B39C581.jpeg
    92420C82-9767-48B7-A273-93858B39C581.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Great idea for a thread. I think we always get complacent in the idea of we know our equipment, but there are ways for it to fail that we don't anticipate. We need some good pics of the process of using dye penetrant Disturbed! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Maybe you could shoot a video of Black working his magic. Or you could let Henry do it, if Black gets shy on camera! :smile14:

jimsplace

farmo83 said:
How often are there prop issues ?

Often enough.
Speaking from experience, if there is a problem and you don't sink the boat, it will be expensive.  There will of course be the prop and a prop shaft along with probably a bent strut, shaft log, damage to the V-Drive itself and a lost weekend and the time it takes to repair the boat and everything else.

How likely is hard to say, but the more power you make and the harder you play with the boat are big factors.  It also depends on the quality of your original parts.

Checking things only makes good sense.  Most working parts have a limited life and most of these boats are 10- 20- 30- 40 years old and considered performance boats.  Don't think that because it's been good for 20 or 30 years, it'll last forever.
That's my opinion.
    :smile17: