steering wheel nitrous switch

jimbo

These switches with coiled cord are ranging from $35-$50.Has anyone made their own?If so what componets did you use? :)

Disturbed

You might try www.aircraftspruce.com  They have economy push to talk switches that might do the job for you.  Before you buy one though, call them and ask them how many amperes they're rated for.  They maybe too light duty but, they're around $20 so, it maybe worth looking into a bit further.  :smile15:

Here's the direct link.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ptt_switch.php

greaser

When Garry set up my nitrous, he made me a steering wheel switch. This is the only pic I have of it. If you need me to, I can take some close up pics and get em posted up tomorrow...

2657aug4-7.jpg

3boatpaul

:smile15: go to radio shack thru the years have made a few of them. all the parts can be aquired there and make your one, cheaper    food for thought i always make a OOOOO sh** togle switch and made a bracket on right side of steering wheel  and tied into power wire to coil. you would be suprised how handy this will turn out to be.  radio shack is full of cool stuff  that you can use  good luck  :smile15:  :smile15:

3boatpaul

:smile23: i forgot to add this----- make up all your switches and wiring to to back of boat out  thinner wiring and use low voltage and power up your amperage to N.O.S solenoid thru relays.  almost forgot this trick  :smile23:  :smile23:

C

CorDog009

Are you going to run the push-button switch in series with a WOT switch on the carb? Cheap insurance so that you can only hit the juice at WOT and it'll shut it off as soon as you let off the throttle.

jimbo

Thanks for the replies!I looked at radio shack and they have the switch but could not find a coil cord other than a phone cord.Did not feel it would be rated enough and I was concerned about having a good cord to switch connection seal.
Yes I was going to have some redundancy by installing a secondary switch on carb.

3boatpaul

:smile15:  phone cord works  years ago on my hydro run a 3 stage nos setup  boat was set up with butterfly stearing wheel  ran a little aluminum angle  between the handles  and used miniture push buttons plus little led lights to warn of armed nos solonides ( you have never experianced fun times until you have a nitros solonide hang open )  and used all miniture  tel. wire and min. switches  makes for a clean wire instal to back of boat  THE TRICK IS LOW AMPS  and terminate to relays  that way you have short run heavy gauge wire  depending on solonoid sizes and multi systems they do pull a lot of amperage and a little silicon goes a long way to insulate from moisture  :smile15:

badblood

The easy way for a single stage is just a wide open switch on the carb. I have also seen a starter button under the gas ped.
I use a wide open switch to activate mine. It is faster than fumbling with a button, all you have to do is arm it and hit the gas.

dragally

Here you go. I may have a used one laying around if you're interested. I use a button under my gas pedal. Go here
http://www.bobsmachine.com/ and type in Steering Trim Control Unit in the search box.