Rules and Laws for boating at night

stangcorey

Anyone know the laws on boating at night for Taylor Lake (Seabrook TX) or surrounding areas. Is a bow light and pole light required no matter the size of boat? 

Sweet Addiction

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/pwd_br_l2000_0001/index.phtml

Lights Required
All vessels including motorboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Sweet Addiction

Navigation Lights
Power Driven Vessels Underway: Power driven vessels of less than 20 meters (65.6 ft.) but more than 12 meters (39.4 ft.) shall exhibit navigation lights as shown in Figure 1. Vessels of less than 12 meters in length, shall show the lights in either Figure 1 or Figure 2.

Manually Driven Vessels: Manually driven vessels when paddled, poled, oared, or windblown;

A sailing vessel of less than 20 meters (65.6 ft.), while underway shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight which may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.
A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters (23 ft.) shall, if practicable, exhibit the sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.
All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.
In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.

Sweet Addiction

figure1.gif

Devilman

And if you should get caught running without lights & "Da Man" decides to write you up, it's a $154 buck ticket....

Unless they happen to have gone up, lol... :rolleyes: :grin:

KONA77

sweet-v said:
:smile23:
Camping out at Pace Bend Park, at night we see boats with there lights
backwards.

if i am not mistaken the light configuration is opposite for inland waters and coastal waters

stangcorey

very helpful, would hate to get stopped for something as stupid as not having the right lights after throwing back 1 or 2. and there are plenty of things I'd rather spend $154 on as well!

sweet-v

KONA77 said:
sweet-v said:
:smile23:
Camping out at Pace Bend Park, at night we see boats with there lights
backwards.

if i am not mistaken the light configuration is opposite for inland waters and coastal waters

Well then I guess that's why we see both out there,  That don't make sense  :huh:

sturat

Nice ride gotta love those yellow sangers :smile19: :smile19: :smile19:
My .02 worht I would not run much on Taylor Lake as salt water is a mother on boats. Way too much clean up time to get it all off the boat. Ask Outlaw how much work it is to care for and how fast things start to look crusty.
There are many of us that run the lower San Jac weekly and it is only about 30-45 minutes from Seabrook. We all put in at Loves off of old Hwy 90
Welcome to THB

stangcorey

sturat said:
Nice ride gotta love those yellow sangers :smile19: :smile19: :smile19:
My .02 worht I would not run much on Taylor Lake as salt water is a mother on boats. Way too much clean up time to get it all off the boat. Ask Outlaw how much work it is to care for and how fast things start to look crusty.
There are many of us that run the lower San Jac weekly and it is only about 30-45 minutes from Seabrook. We all put in at Loves off of old Hwy 90
Welcome to THB

I will defiantly check the San Jac out, thanks. I'm currently living in the Winnie area so thats even closer. Just all my friends and family still live over in Seabrook. I gotta pull up to Turtle Club atleast once in my boat. I figured Taylor may be too choppy a lot of times too. I like your sanger, looks real good!