Rub rail

Crusader

Hey......How many of you guys have removed and replaced your guard rail?

- If so, how difficult is it to bend the metal around the bow and the aft corners?

- Did you use screws or rivets?

- Where did you purchase your rub rail?

Longstr

I made the mistake of attempting to do this on my TX19 it was a SOB, I used stainless rivets and got the rubrail for an auto body supply store... Next time I will find a direct replacement somehow.

Crusader

Longstr said:
I made the mistake of attempting to do this on my TX19 it was a SOB, I used stainless rivets and got the rubrail for an auto body supply store... Next time I will find a direct replacement somehow.

Ya, it's not an easy task.....that's why I was asking. I might have to get a company to do it for me.....

Longstr

I plan on doing the Taylor however I can locate a factory replacement other than drilling out 600,000 rivets I am hoping it will be easier than trying to make a universal one work.

FL350

Administrator
Done many of them. Never use screws. I always get them from mike at Rex marine. I think they have finished there move.

Devilman

Pretty sure Greg(oldbuck40) has got rub rails from there in the past. I know he put new rub rail on his Youngblood, but it came from Rex Marine.  I'll see what I can find in his build thread.

Longstr

Biggest problem I remember having was lining up the holes from hull to new rub rail, on the Taylor I will pop rubrail off and fill all the holes w peanut butter and just start from scratch, save myself a major headache.

jdeaton

Cliff, on the day cruiser style boats, it's not hard.  The sharpest bends are the 90's at the rear corners. Use a rubber mallet, and go slow.  The peanut butter is a great idea.

ChryslerJet

When I took off the rub rail on my there was a cap at the bow that covered the ends from there and the rail was bent around the rear corners with join cap at the center of the stern.  I think a little heat on the aluminum and a soft touch would get it to wrap around the stern corners, maybe put some old rub rail in that section to keep it from pinching.

WFO

I don't remember where we got the rail from but I remember the shipping was more than the product because of having to ship 20' joints motor freight. Other than that use aluminum rivets and when you make a bend put a piece of rubber insert in the groove before you bend the corner.

Crusader

Cool, thanks.

Ya, it might be better to try and get the rub rail locally than have it shipped.

Good idea on putting the rubber insert in while bending the aluminum.