Pump & pump add-on ID thread

Last Mohecian

Administrator
"What pump is this?"  I see this question asked time and time again.  I am going to start this thread to have one "Go To" place to help people identify their pumps.  I will try to keep one post for each manufacturer and as I collect more info on each I will come back and edit that post with the new info.  Please PM me or post up with any information I have incorrect.  I'm sure there will be quite a few things.

Jacuzzi

Jacuzzi WJ - Easily identified by the grease zerk right in the top of the bowl and the 4 bolts holding the nozzle to the bowl (Photo from 72hondo)
WJ.jpg

Jacuzzi YJ - Easily identified by the "U" shaped trim adjustment plate on the top (same as Golden Eagle) and the transom adapter.
YJa.jpg

YJb.jpg

Jacuzzi Golden Eagle - Easily identified by the adapter/suction housing between the bowl and transom (Photo from skippers WFOT)
GoldenEagle.jpg

The YJ/Golden Eagle could also be outfitted with a hydraulic trim (Photos from echobayjames)
HydraulicTrim1.jpg

HydraulicTrim2.jpg

Energizer kit - The energizer kit is available for all 3 Jacuzzi pumps. It converts the Jacuzzi pump to a Berkley style bowl, impeller & nozzle. It uses the original Jacuzzi intake and suction housing. It also gives you the ability to use all the Berkley style bolt-ons (drop, diverter, wedges, etc...). This pic is a Golden Eagle with an Energizer kit & place diverter(Photo from Jet Boat Performance).
Energizer.jpg

Last Mohecian

Administrator
I am not familiar with the Hamilton pumps.  Wikus from over at S&F / PB seems to have a pretty good handle on them though.  Lots of info here that I gathered from him.

Quinnat Hamilton Jet Unit
Manufactured: 1954
Availibility: None
Identification: Vertical shaft centrifugal unit, driven through a right angle gearbox
1954HamitonQuinnatJet.jpg

Rainbow Hamilton Jet Unit
Manufactured: 1956
Identification:Direct drive centrifugal unit, no gearbox
1956_HamitonRainbowJetUnit.jpg

Chinook Hamilton Jet Unit
Manufactured: 1957
Identification: Twin impellar axial flow unit, straight through flow. Three stage pump followed a year later.
1957HamiltonChinookJetUnit.jpg

Colorado Hamilton Jet Unit
Manufactured: 1963
Availibility: Some units are still around, but no replacement parts ex factory.
Identification: 1,2 and 3 stage pumps. Whole unit is installed inside the boat, reverse control and steering control not visible from the outside of the boat. Reverse bucket lever operates in a forward backward motion.
Impellar: Bronze 17 pitch.
Names: Colorado Explorer - 2 & 3 stage pump units.
              Colorado Junior - Single impellar unit
All units were painted silver in color.
No hand hole for removing debris.
1963HamiltonColoradoJetUnit.jpg

Work Jet
Manufactured: 1970
Large heavy duty units designed for deep draft vessels.
1970HamiltonWorkJetsJetUnit.jpg

750 & 770 Series Hamilton Jet Unit
Manufactured: 1973 - 1975

751 Series - Single Stage unit with Bronze impellar - Fine, Course and Power Impellar. - Steering nozzle 2 upright deflectors at back of pump. interchangeble nozzles were availible.
Shaft is a smaller diameter than the multistage pumps and uses a single cutless bearing (inside of bearing bush is tapered)
Hamilton Jet logo is in raised print on steering deflectors.
Intake grids - Finger grate(Loose fingers) and Rock grate (Solid grate)
Handhole inside boat with Hamilton logo on top.

771 Series - Same as 751 execpt steering is a round shaped nozzle.
Thrust bearing is a split bearing with bronze ring (KMA 305 MPA)

752 & 772 Series looks like the 751 series except It has 1 extra stator for the 2nd impeller and the other impeller sits in the suction housing itself.  2 bronze impellars of equal dimensions 17 pitch impellars. 1st Stage sits inside transom, second stator is visible from outside.  Impellars and shaft is not the same as the 751 & 771 Series units and is of a different diameter.

753 & 773 Series - same as 752 & 753 execpt it has 3 stators and 3 impellars. (7 Series are all axial flow pumps and not mixed flow like Berkeley and Dominator)
Thrust bearing - KMA 307 MPA
Spares are still availible ex factory and is interchangeble with Kodiak units (Not all spares are interchangeable)
1973Hamilton750SeriesJetUnit.jpg

1031 Series Hamilton Jet Unit
Manufactured: 1975 - 1980
Large diameter single stage unit.
Color - Metallic Blue
Reverse bucket looks like 7 Series, but was later changed to a split duct configuration.
1975Hamilton1031JetUnit.jpg

HM Series Hamilton Jet Units
Manufactured: 1990
Huge pump for highspeed ferry vessels up to 60 metres in length.

HS Series Hamilton Jet Units
Manufactured: 1990
High speed craft - 50 to 60 knots
Multi stage units for up to 1600kw power plants.
1991HamiltonHSJetUnit.jpg

HJ Series Hamilton Jet Units
Basically replaces the 7 series units HJ241, HJ321 and the largest Hamilton Units are the HM421, HM651, HM721, HM811.
(1993 - 1998 HJ series)
1993to1998HamiltonHJSeriesJetUnit.jpg

(2003 HJ403)
2003HamiltonHJ403SeriesJetUnit.jpg

HJ212
Replaces the 773 units in trailable boats with a Turbo impellar.

Hamilton 753
753JetUnit.jpg

Last Mohecian

Administrator
I am digging for good pics and definitions on these pieces.  I'll edit as I get to them.  All pics are clickable for a larger highlighted image.

Loader: Typically bolts in place of a rock grate.  There are many designs but the goal of all is basically to make sure water gets directed to the bowl and in particular to the top of the bowl to prevent cavitation.

Inducer: This is installed on the shaft in front of the impeller.  Basic function is to force feed the impeller.  Theory is this helps with hole shot. 

Stuffer: stuffer mounts into the bowl directly behind the impeller. By closing up this clearance the hydro flow dynamics of the water exiting the impeller is substantially increased. The result is improved hole shot and acceleration.

Wedge: Allows fine adjustments of the nozzle angle in relation to the intake angle.

Droop Snoot: allows the nozzle be placed lower in the water stream

Straight Snoot: allows the nozzle be placed further back in the water stream

Diverter: Adjustable trim.

Inserts: reduce nozzle size

Ride Plate: The ride plate extends the running surface of the bottom of the hull.  It can help with porpoising problems, as well as planing problems. The boat will plane faster, and bow height is somewhat adjustable. Some boats benefit greatly, some don't respond as well. (Thanks to Duanehydro for the explanation)

Shoe: In simple terms a shoe acts as a small scoop, force feeding more water into the intake. (Thanks to Esabataj for the explanation)

Loader, Shoe & Ride Plate:

Last Mohecian

Administrator
BayJet:

Similar in design to a Berkeley.  According to several sources some but not all parts will interchange.  I am not sure what will and will not work.

Pics courtesy 91foxbody @ performanceboats.com

broncocarnage

STUFFER- stuffer mounts into the bowl directly behind the impeller. By closing up this clearance the hydro flow dynamics of the water exiting the impeller is substantially increased. The result is improved hole shot and acceleration.

http://www.berkeleyjet.com/p-680-billet-bowl-stuffer.aspx

72hondo

Sweet first pic of the WJ. Shame it doesn't look that way anymore. It sports a droop, 3* wedge, and a ftn diverter.

72hondo

Last Mohican said:
72hondo said:
Sweet first pic of the WJ. Shame it doesn't look that way anymore. It sports a droop, 3* wedge, and a ftn diverter.

Hey Robert, How much did the droop and FTN help?

I also had bowl work done. Night and day difference, I picked up 8 mph. I still had some more tune up work to do on it. Last time out, it was way fat. Pigs having a party fat. I guess I was over cautious, Lol damn blowers! Lol

It throws a nice tail IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHQPb08p63Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ChryslerJet

Should include this Chrysler Designed Jet
Jet.jpg

Like nothing else posted

Chris

74 Chrysler Conqueror SIII Superbee 340 Jet (sans 340)
(getting completely renovated with newer 360 powerplant)
http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...slerConqueror/

My thread on the resto
http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=13704.0

Last Mohecian

Administrator
ChryslerJet said:
Should include this Chrysler Designed Jet
Jet.jpg

Like nothing else posted

Chris

74 Chrysler Conqueror SIII Superbee 340 Jet (sans 340)
(getting completely renovated with newer 360 powerplant)
http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...slerConqueror/

My thread on the resto
http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=13704.0

CJ, If  you don't mind I'll dig through your pics and add that one to my post over on PB as well.  That is certainly a rare bird.

ChryslerJet

By all means go for it.  If you need more once I have it all apart and remove let me know will take as many as I can remember.

Chris

Last Mohecian

Administrator
ChryslerJet said:
By all means go for it.  If you need more once I have it all apart and remove let me know will take as many as I can remember.

Chris

That was kinda what I was thinking.  It would be cool to have pics of all 13 moving parts.