Pump Polishing?????

J C Gordon

What I'm looking for her is how to get the pump to that raw material look not looking to polish it out just that raw aluminum look for now may end up polishing it later. Just wanting to hear from somebody that has tackled this task before and maybe had some shortcuts.. Thank J C :smile13:

duanehydro

If you just want it raw, use the hell out of paint remover....takes about 2 cans of napa gasket remover (same ingredients as paint remover, just a few bucks cheaper.) There is a factory layer of marine green primer under the paint, so it takes 2-3 times to get it all off. Then my bowl was chucked up in a lathe, sanded and polished @ speed. It seems to be the easiest way. I paint my pumps with appliance white epoxy, but I've seen some done with aluminum color that looks polished from 20' away.....
20848Picture_008-med.jpg

sturat

i did not have any problems getting mine cleaned up.

Just brought to work and blasted it off :smile12:

G

Gort

COONASS said:
Duanehydro said:
If you just want it raw, use the hell out of paint remover....takes about 2 cans of napa gasket remover (same ingredients as paint remover, just a few bucks cheaper.) There is a factory layer of marine green primer under the paint, so it takes 2-3 times to get it all off. Then my bowl was chucked up in a lathe, sanded and polished @ speed. It seems to be the easiest way. I paint my pumps with appliance white epoxy, but I've seen some done with aluminum color that looks polished from 20' away.....
20848Picture_008-med.jpg

if you polish .............shoot a clear over it after and it will last ..........that is after you get the paint removed  :smile12:  mine shine'd for two seasons like this  :azn:
Kinda like gettin' your knob polished?  RIGHT    :smile15: :smile15: :smile15: :smile15:

Devilman

Here, let me save Mike the trouble, I know its coming, lol... :grin:

[quote author=outlawjet]
Chrome it..... :smile13:
[/quote]

There ya go... :grin:

outlawjet

Devilman said:
Here, let me save Mike the trouble, I know its coming, lol... :grin:

[quote author=outlawjet]
Chrome it..... :smile13:

There ya go... :grin:
[/quote]

You know me very well my friend  :smile23: :smile23:

SlowRyd

J C Gordon said:
What I'm looking for her is how to get the pump to that raw material look not looking to polish it out just that raw aluminum look for now may end up polishing it later. Just wanting to hear from somebody that has tackled this task before and maybe had some shortcuts.. Thank J C :smile13:

I put mine in the lathe and used my flexible body file with 80 grit paper took about 30 minutes.
IMG_0273.jpg

Disturbed

The absolute best zinc-chromate epoxy primer remover is Eldorado PR 3500.  Its kinda hard to get a hold of but, you could try www.texair.com The last time I needed some I called them up and they GAVE me a 1 gallon sample.  The best thing about it is its safe for aluminum and it WORKS!  Wear protective clothing. 

:smile15:

J C Gordon

accutally thought about chroming it got a chromer just doen the road. Everything would have to be finished product cause once its done its done.. Wonder how they would keep the chrome outta the inside?

Devilman

Bowl is probably the easiest part isn't it? I wouldn't be scared to tackle the bowl, its the rest of it that would be a hassle I would think. Where are the pics of that pain.... :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You could have it bead-blasted to get that satin finish. Then all you have to do is spray aluminum cleaner on it to restore the satin finish.!