pump & intake grate sealant

vdrivenman

need advice on what is the best longest lasting sealer to put around the setback and intake. want something that will hold up but not take days to remove when comes replacement time again.  i have used a white 3500 somethig sealant that i purchased at west marine,but it was on a salt water boat and it was very difficult to remove after several years.

duanehydro

intake to bottom, I use international trucks grey silicone, available at the local international dealer, also available @ ford dealers (powerstroke sealant), for the intake to pump and setback, dow clear silicone. JMO.

duanehydro

5200 is a great sealant, unfortunately, it's a MF to remove. I use it on skegs and such, but if you want to remove it easily, I don't suggest it.

vdrivenman

the 5200 sounds like the stuff i used b 4 .took a chisel & scrapper to remove it and it took some gel coat along with it !!!!!! doe sthe international sealant hold up to gas & oil????

duanehydro

the international sealant is awesome stuff, fuel oil, whatever....it's used in place of gaskets, made for oil pans. Trust me. :smile16:

Blender Man

I learned something from kieth the last time we had the pump out, he uses the right gaskets.....on the trasom gasket he puts a little greeas on the surface than blots it up, he also uses the bowel gasket  or O ring ( that was the frist time I had seen one, put a little greeas on it allso, in the past a tube of sil.)  The white stuff I do not remember the number or the name , just on the hages  and some on the bowl.. use your finger or eging tool the stuff looks good , like the silcon on the rogers is allready crappy looking...we will see how easy it come apart soon..... :smile17:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Permatex offers a gray silicone for differential covers that is oil resistant. Good stuff!