Plowman Creek CLOSED - We are camping at Kimball Bend Sept 27-29

73 Sanger Flat

Our Sept 27th reservation got Cancelled for Plowman because the park is closed for the flood damages , so we book the weekend at Kimball Bend State Park in case anyone wants to come camp over there .. Never been there before .. We have campsites 3, 5 and 7 .. This is the regular Plowman weekend , but the Poker Run will be the weekend before this ..

TexasJet

Ummm, I don't think it's a state park. Probably Core of Engineers park. It shows up on Recreation.gov.

beaverfab

Sorry Billy I probably won’t make it have plans to be a Billy Bs boat show and get to gather that weekend. Wasn’t Plowmans the first weekend in October?

73 Sanger Flat

JJ -- Plowman started closing the first weekend of October , so we moved it to the last weekend in September the past 2 years ..

Billy B's will be nice to go to ..

Not to sure about Kimball Bend park

Devilman

Kimball Bend looked like a pretty nice little campground last time we went & checked it out. Been awhile though. Pretty good boat ride to Plowmans or Steel Creek from there but we always enjoyed it.

73 Sanger Flat

I went last Saturday to check it out ..I should have taken some picture of the water ..  The campground is in pretty good shape . But the water ( River )  looked horrible in my opinion .. Too much debris around the shore and out toward the river channel .. I will NOT be putting my boat in at Kimball Bend .. If I put my boat in , I will trailer it down to Steel Creek and play there for the day .. It might be OK to put in at Kimball Bend and play there , but I will not with my V-Drive .. I had hope that i could make runs right there in front of Kimball Bend Park , but after looking at it , I change my mind and will not play there .. This may all change again before Sept 27th , but I have my doubts that it will ..

I do not want to discourage anyone from coming , but I think you really need to take a good look at the water and make you own minds up about running up at Kimball Bend area . 

Yes - I know they launch boats and have no trouble there , and they do it daily with the ski boats and bass boats .. They normally go up or down river though ..

jimsplace

I'm Ok with either place you choose. 
It's a month and half away and maybe it'll be better then.  Just wait and see.

Thanks for the report.
      :smile17:

73 Sanger Flat

jimsplace said:
I'm Ok with either place you choose. 
It's a month and half away and maybe it'll be better then.  Just wait and see.

Thanks for the report.
      :smile17:

If I take the boat , I will trailer down to Steel Creek .. Kimball Bend will not be any better unless someone gets out there and pull all the stuff  out of there .. I will wait until it is closer and then decide ..

Devilman

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
I went last Saturday to check it out ..I should have taken some picture of the water ..  The campground is in pretty good shape . But the water ( River )  looked horrible in my opinion .. Too much debris around the shore and out toward the river channel .. I will NOT be putting my boat in at Kimball Bend .. If I put my boat in , I will trailer it down to Steel Creek and play there for the day .. It might be OK to put in at Kimball Bend and play there , but I will not with my V-Drive .. I had hope that i could make runs right there in front of Kimball Bend Park , but after looking at it , I change my mind and will not play there .. This may all change again before Sept 27th , but I have my doubts that it will ..

I do not want to discourage anyone from coming , but I think you really need to take a good look at the water and make you own minds up about running up at Kimball Bend area . 

Yes - I know they launch boats and have no trouble there , and they do it daily with the ski boats and bass boats .. They normally go up or down river though ..

Sux about it being all full of debris... to be honest, I don't remember much of a beach area to hang out on there by the campground anyway? I'm sure it varies with the river level and activity. Looked at it right quick on Google Satellite and not knowing how recent the pic is, the area out in front of the campground does  not look very attractive for boating... not even parking a boat, lol...

73 Sanger Flat

beaverfab said:
You can always put in at Kimble and go down river to Plowmans

That is true , but I did not like the water at Kimball Bend even to launch .. I know I ma picky about the water , but I do not want to damage my prop .. , so I will trailer down to Steel Creek if I take my boat .. Sure wish Plowman would be open ,

73 Sanger Flat

That google picture is old , but it look worse than that now

Devilman said:
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:

Sux about it being all full of debris... to be honest, I don't remember much of a beach area to hang out on there by the campground anyway? I'm sure it varies with the river level and activity. Looked at it right quick on Google Satellite and not knowing how recent the pic is, the area out in front of the campground does  not look very attractive for boating... not even parking a boat, lol...

beaverfab said:
Sorry Billy I probably won’t make it have plans to be a Billy Bs boat show and get to gather that weekend. Wasn’t Plowmans the first weekend in October?

Yes it was the first weekend in Oct, It changed because of issues and problems of schedule at Plowmans and there conditions, if information serves me correctly.