Opinions or first hand experience with ProComp Aluminum BBC Heads

SyTy Speed Shop

Ok, dont flame or just reply saying they are chinese junk, ive been reading alot of threads on them and seems to me its about 50/50.  The majority of folks running them without issues bought them bare, as the parts they use to assemble seem to be junk.

I can get a set of these in a 300cc oval port with 119cc chambers for 640 a pair shipped.  I was looking at doing bigger valves and some minor port work running about 900 total after parts and machine work.  These procomps will still flow better than my reworked vortec heads(if you believe the published flow numbers) and will def shave some weight.  I already have a complete comp cams spring kit with 925 springs that i plan to put in them along with some manley stainless steel valves, and a set of Lunati 1.7 roller rockers, i know ill need custom length pushrods.

Id like to see if anyone here has any experience with them on a jet boat application, and would be better off with my reworked vortec heads or giving the procomps a shot?

I'm working on finalizing the build for my 427, and the head i run will determine the piston, flat tops with the vortecs and some small domes with the procomps, also, im looking at running 9.0:1 with the iron vortecs and 10:1 with the aluminum heads.  I know with the edelbrock EFI intake and the Procharger making power wont be an issue with either head, mainly going for the weight savings and making the same power on less boost so it will keep it more reliable.  Also my cam will be a Lunati, 238/248 dur@.050 .600/.600 lift on a 112 LSA, just not sure if i want to stay hydraulic roller or make the jump to solid roller, i know the power advantages, but don't want to be running the valves every trip out, but maybe its not as bad with these modern engine parts and im stuck in the old school way of thinking?

Anyways, thanks as always for the help.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
The Pro Comps are very cheap heads. Machine shops like to push them because they can buy the bare core for next to nothing. Then they can make their money selling you parts and labor for building them. You can spend almost the same amount up front and get an equal or better flowing head to begin with that will have way more potential. Plus I look at it this way, If I were looking to buy a used motor or even a boat. If I see Procomps on it, I ask what other corners did they cut. My head guy doesn't even work on them. He has seen too many seats drop out of them. Says they are junk at any price! Just putting it out there. :smile30:

whitetrash148

Between  Banana Spit- SE boat and My self , we have several SDBA and lucas Hi Points championships, Race wins , round winds--- No problems if you stay below 685 lift-- we use WhitePerformance1 -They build their own heads inhouse using the pro comp (Speedmaster blanks). The heads have suited us well for drag racing , don't know about long runs on the lake.

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
The Pro Comps are very cheap heads. Machine shops like to push them because they can buy the bare core for next to nothing. Then they can make their money selling you parts and labor for building them. You can spend almost the same amount up front and get an equal or better flowing head to begin with that will have way more potential. Plus I look at it this way, If I were looking to buy a used motor or even a boat. If I see Procomps on it, I ask what other corners did they cut. My head guy doesn't even work on them. He has seen too many seats drop out of them. Says they are junk at any price! Just putting it out there. :smile30:

Yeah i talked to a few good machine shops Ive dealt with in the past in Houston about the procomps and they wont touch them either.  Another big head porting shop in DFW said they only work with bare heads, but haven't seen any issues with valve seats falling out.  Buying the bare heads and filling them with good parts seems to be a better way to go.

SyTy Speed Shop

whitetrash148 said:
Between  Banana Spit- SE boat and My self , we have several SDBA and lucas Hi Points championships, Race wins , round winds--- No problems if you stay below 685 lift-- we use WhitePerformance1 -They build their own heads inhouse using the pro comp (Speedmaster blanks). The heads have suited us well for drag racing , don't know about long runs on the lake.

The white performance heads are only a rec port and im wanting to stick with oval port.

whitetrash148

The company we use is Whiteperformance1, not Whiteperformance. Just got off their site- part#BBC-Oval-274, 300cc runners-oval port-hydroll 620 lift-119cc---$969 fully assembled plus shipping!

SyTy Speed Shop

whitetrash148 said:
The company we use is Whiteperformance1, not Whiteperformance. Just got off their site- part#BBC-Oval-274, 300cc runners-oval port-hydroll 620 lift-119cc---$969 fully assembled plus shipping!

Ok, they are the same ones that i am looking at for the pair of these heads bare for 685 shipped.