ONE FOR THE PAINTERS ON THB

KONA77

I have a question for the peeps that are painters on THB,  here goes,  fixing clear coat,  clear coat is lifting and pealing from the base coat,  does the base coat have to be reshot in order to re-apply the clear coat,  or can the clear coat be sanded down smooth and be reshot,  the question asked is to small areas of the defect

lets hear your thoughts on this,  thank you in advance

ChryslerJet

certainly there are people here more qualified than I.  That being said I have been able to reclear over existing base coat but all the effected clear has to be removed.  anything that is chipping has to be sanded back to good clear that's still bonding with the base coat and for good measure I would go 1-3 inches beyond the affected area.  The hardest part is not sanding through the base coat.  Don't use to rough of a grit no heavier than 220.  I have carefully used a razor blade to remove bad clear too so that it all doesn't need to be sanded just break off the parts and sand down the edges.  Thats just how I have done it in the past David is the real paint guy and may think its best otherwise.

Edit and wet sand only

SimplyOrange

i doubt you can sand the clear without sanding completely through the basecoat. i bet that base isnt as thick as you are expecting it to be. if you can sand the clear to a feather edge without damaging the base(without dragging metallic too) then you can scuff with a grey scuff pad and comet then reclear it. first few coats should be dusted on and no reducer used, reducer will react with the base and may lift it.

you should be sanding with 1500, after it is painted you can sand the new stuff with 1500 on a block and buff it back to a shine.

Well, your in a predicament there! First off I would have to see how bad it is! If its lifting in some spots it's bound to lift later in other spots so just spotting it wont fix it, and when it does it will take the new with it! if you plane on keeping this, you might conceder doing it right and just repainting the whole thing! 90% of the time you will sand threw the base unless there is a ton on there and there's only one way to find that out! But to do it right you will need to sand all the clear off and get to the base coat where the issue is, that's when you will take the base off if your not careful! I'm not looking at it but if you exceed the recoat time on paint with out sanding in between coats 99% of the time it Will always peel off later and that is what it sounds like to me! But if your just want it fixed for looks or sale for the next person to deal with then yes you can spot it in and fix it! But to reclear with out a line r overspray marks you will need to clear from crease to crease!

Maybe with better input we can help more like what is it you dealing etc!

KONA77

thanks for the replies,  and I agree with Mike S and SimplyOrange,  it was supposed to be done right the first time but, NOT.

so i have two vehicles to save the base coat on,  one vehicle has a color that is very hard to match

so I figure if i can scuff the base coat and feather the edges I'll get a few more years until i can get it done right for the second time.

and using 220 is way off base,  1500 or at the least would be 1000,  I wouldn't use 220 on aluminum

customtouch

As Mike stated, there are a lot more questions to be asked before a real answer can be given. There are just way too many variables to factor in. You are welcome to give me a call and I will gladly discuss it and give you some options to try that will fit your circumstance.  David  512-423-7889

KONA77

Thank you David,  and when I can get my head around this problem that's been haunting me this year, I will give you a shout,  it's just something that I'd like to tackle until I can get someone to fix it right,  again thank you guys

customtouch

KONA said:
Thank you David,  and when I can get my head around this problem that's been haunting me this year, I will give you a shout,  it's just something that I'd like to tackle until I can get someone to fix it right,  again thank you guys

No problem. There is really only one "right way" to do it, but there are a lot of other options that you "might" be able to "get away with" if you are lucky. Let me know if I can help.

KONA77

customtouch said:
KONA said:

No problem. There is really only one "right way" to do it, but there are a lot of other options that you "might" be able to "get away with" if you are lucky. Let me know if I can help.

well I'm not a painter and if by a chance I could save what is there then maybe Lady Luck will smile on me for short time

Knotty Girl

KONA said:
customtouch said:
KONA said:

Repaint the whole thing purple with a pink stripe, then keep the same name.  :smile16:
well I'm not a painter and if by a chance I could save what is there then maybe Lady Luck will smile on me for short time

KONA77

Knotty said:
KONA said:
customtouch said:
KONA said:

Repaint the whole thing purple with a pink stripe, then keep the same name.  :smile16:

there's Knotty all loopy again,  did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?    lol

customtouch

KONA said:
Knotty said:
KONA said:
customtouch said:
KONA said:

T
there's Knotty all loopy again,  did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?    lol

Is there something wrong with that? think.gif Should I quit?  :grin:

Knotty Girl

KONA said:
Knotty said:
KONA said:
customtouch said:
KONA said:

With "LEAD"    :smile22:  crazy.gif

customtouch said:
KONA said:
Knotty said:
KONA said:
customtouch said:
KONA said:

Is there something wrong with that? think.gif Should I quit?  :grin:

Yes please let me know also, think.gif I might have to stop smelling the thinner also if the chips are bad for us! :smile22: :smile30:

blazeracer

Hey Kona, my NEW 2000 Grand Prix got hit from behind shortly after I got it. Years later all the clear coat started coming off the back end of the car where the repairs were made. Removing old clear coat without going thru the base coat was impossible. I tried. Using 400 grit got the bad clear up where I could see it flaking, and made the stuff I couldn't see separating easily come up also, but 400 rips right through the base coat. I ended up sanding out more than twice as much as what appeared to be shot till I got to the clear that wouldn't fly right off. Then went 800 and 1,000 to get ready for paint. Anyway, I took the paint code located in the trunk and bought a quart from the local paint supply. Then cleared with some stuff I had laying around here. It doesn't look perfect, but it looks ok to me. I'm the original owner and don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Bottom line, there was no sanding the base coat without cutting through it. Impossible. The base coat is wicked thin and comes right off if your using a grit tough enough to remove the bad clear coat.

EDIT: Added a pic, basically did from behind the doors back.

Attachments

• CAM00144.jpg
    CAM00144.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 159