Oil pump volume vs pressure

Damn y'all's psi seams way low! Mine on all my motors, he'll even my street small block Chevy runs 40psi at idle and 65 at 3500-4000! My big blocks and boat motors are about the same more along 50psi idle and 65-70 at 4000-5500 and I do most all the same never no problems! And always run straight 40 oil too!

Anyhow I also run high volume and blue printed!

WFO

Don't remember the # but Melling makes a high volume  blueprinted pump. That's what I run in my 496. Solid cam, no restrictors 8 quart system and makes 75lbs always.

Carnivalride

Nobody has answered my original question. Why do you need high pressure or high volume?

It takes power to pump oil, 60 psi will easily keep things good at 7500 rpm, 20 psi at idle is fine on a BBC. So why do you need 40 psi at idle and 75+ psi?

I'm just wondering I've been doing this for over 20 years and never had a problem running the "old way" and the few of you that know me know my stuff always runs well for what it is so what have I missed on the "need" to move that much oii?

Chevy2184

Carnivalride I agree with you... I don't want to put in the wrong pump? And was really thinking this would be a 2 post reply and would be done and I would know what to run? I have heard to much pressure not good? To much volume and have to worry about pumping the pan dry? Don't see how in the hell you could ever put 10 qts of oil in the top of a motor? But I didn't want any problems either? But running a high volume pump and then restricting the oil? Seems like the pump would start building pressure just cause of the restriction? But I can kinda understand what they are saying about the high volume pump with the right bypass spring? Then you have the extra volume if you ever need it? Idk? Seems to be clear as mud? 😊