New vdrive, gearbox getting hot

TBendCondor

My nephew just acquired a 72 laveycraft v-drive. He has had it out once, he told me the gearbox would get so hot you couldn't touch it. It had been serviced with new synthetic oil. Casale drive. It has water lines hooked to it but he thinks the valve going to them is broke shut. Any advice ??

FL350

Administrator
Lavey builds a nice circle boat. I do not run water to mine and we race on some courses that are a mile long for 5 laps and they do get hot. Sounds like it could not have enough oil in it. 

Disturbed

BTW, I do not have water connected to mine and, it has never gotten that hot.  You may want to talk to JJ Beaver.  Your box may have other issues.  $.02

73 Sanger Flat

Too much oil with puke HOT oil all over you .. I can show you proof on my leg ..
Check and make sure no bugs , dirt doper has stopped up the lines going into and out of the V-Drive .. That is what happen to mine , dam dirt doper plugged the inlet hole and it got so hot it puked oil all over my leg , still have the scare from it .. Get under it with a water hose and push water up and through to make sure it is not stopped up ..
Mine will get pretty dam hot when i go make  7-8 hot passes back to back .. No water in mine .. But the one before thsi i had water and you could keep your hand on the box and it was cool ..
Contact JJ Beaver if you need help , he is the V-Drive guru around these parts

TBendCondor

He did have it way to full of oil (filled to where it was coming out the top plug) and it did puke oil every time he put it in gear.
Thanks for the information.

beaverfab

Should be only 1/2 of a quart. The plug or the right side of the v drive and on the rear ( towards of the boat) side  at 3clock pision of the bottom shaft is the fill to plug....