New Battery help.

Dry Dock

I always go for the most CCA battery that will fit in battery box.  usually around 800 to 900 CCA.  wet or Optima type. Optima seems to last a little longer for me.  2 years about all i have ever gotten out of a wet battery but I am not good about keeping battery tender on wet battery either.

scarabscs

It does not have to be a gel battery, in fact most of the guys on here probably run AGM batteries.  It should not be a deep cycle, it needs to be a cranking battery.  Interstate has some good canking batteries.  I dont know how old mine is, but its probably 4 or 5 yrs old.  I use it as my house battery and cranking battery, and my alternator charges it.  When im park and jam some music, I use my aux battery, which is a deep cycle.

Dont go overboard with CCA, and make sure you run a tender on your battery when the boat is in storage.

I hear kona likes men.  Just sayin.

jimsplace

I've had good luck with the Optima batteries.
In my case, I didn't want to deal with the corrosion problems of the lead acid battery.

If you choose to use a battery tender on your battery, make sure it is the correct type.
If you have an Optima or other AGM battery, or a Gel battery, make sure your battery charger has settings for that specific type battery.
There have been reports of fires caused by overcharging because of using an incorrect charger.
Like many other things, batteries have changed too, and the newer batteries are not the same as your grandfathers batteries.
In some of our cases, that would apply to what we grew up with or heard through the grapevine.
  :smile17:

FormulaZR

I have an Optima red top. All I know is, it sat connected from 11/12 to 5/12 and fired the boat with no problems.

FL350

Administrator
Over here at S&J Racing we use Interstate. The one on the flatbottom sprint boat 3 years no problems. On the poker run scarab dual batteries been in 4 years.

WFO

I have been running an Optima yellow top (deep cycle) for 5 years and I got it used from someone who had problems with it so I don't know how old it really is. I just put it on charge over night when I first got it from him and have never had a problem since. I do run an alternator but have no music. I typically start my boat every few days all year long so it never just sits. It will probably quit on mew now though. :smile23: