Motor-Pump Matchup

blazeracer

When imping you're motor to your boat and pump, do ya'll shoot for peak HP or peak torque? Thinking about trying out a COMP Cams 54-446-11 with 232/234 duration and .595/.598 lift on a 112 LSA. Peak TORQUE for this cam comes in at 5,000 rpm, on an LQ4 with the right springs anyway. My springs are supposed to be good for .630 lift. That's lower than where I'm spinning an A imp now, but this cam ought to pick it up a couple hundred RPM and maybe put it right at 5,000. Peak HP comes over 6,000 with this cam, but I'm looking at being on the money with the torque.

Due to the crappy adhesion properties of Home Depot sold 3M brand fiberglass resin, I'm gonna pull the carpet and re-glass the floor down with the good stuff from Aeromarine. While the interior is out of the way, maybe a cam swap.

veestyle

I've had two different experienced glass guys tell me the 3M home depot stuff was no good, I thought 3M was supposed to be the bomb.

blazeracer

I've used both. The 3M stuff (polyester resin) is garbage for adhesion but would make an excellent top coat to finish and paint. Need the epoxy resin like Aeromarine has to get a permanent chemical bond. Sooo, won't be making it out this Wednesday because of football. I have a week to git er dun.

Crusader

Polyester resin is known for its chemical bond and is good for initial layups for boats. However it won't stick well to epoxy resins.

Epoxy resins are known for its mechanical bonding. Epoxy will stock well to epoxy or poly. Poly doesn't stick well to epoxy.

For repairs, using epoxy is your best bet.

blazeracer

Just pulled the carpet and found this out first hand. The poly resin is completely delaminated all the way around the new floor where it attached to the hull. Where the poly was applied to fresh wood is holding strong. Gonna grind all that crap out today and get it glassed back in with epoxy. EDIT: TODAY!

customtouch

Crusader said:
Polyester resin is known for its chemical bond and is good for initial layips for boats. However it won't stick well to export resins.

Epoxy resins are known for its mechanical bonding. Epoxy will stock well to epoxy or poly. Poly doesn't stick well to epoxy.

For repairs, using epoxy is your best bet.

That being said........keep in mind that gel-coat is a polyester and does not work well being applied directly over an epoxy repair as a top coat.

customtouch

blazeracer said:
It's my floor. Gonna get covered in carpet.

Yes, "I" understand and that is a perfect use for it. I only made that statement for others so they didn't take the information out of context make a big mistake. Carry on!!! :smile30:

blazeracer

thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emoticon-000283-facebook.gif