Maybe time to pull the Mopar and build a Chevy. Hard decision.

galen

Here is my dilemma.  To build a high horsepower Mopar or any engine for that matter you need a good foundation. As of right now there are no iron aftermarket blocks available for Mopar. You can get an aluminum Indy or Keith black (2 year wait if you are lucky). Cost around 7500$ once machining is done. I have a Koleno block in the boat now. Extremely strong, still at 4.5 bore which can safely go 4.6. Koleno is no longer and will not come back. Good heads and rockers for Mopar, 10K to make power.  I have a 68GTX in the garage that really needs the boat engine so I am thinking at the end of this summer pulling the Mopar.  I am thinking a 565 Chevy build for my boat. Between Billy and I we have a good used 4.25 crank. 6.8 scat rods, used isky roller 283/292 something close to that. I have a Pro systems SV1 carb on the wall. I can buy a tall deck 4.590 Dart block for around 2400$.  Heads I am thinking of buying a Brodix Headhunter 383 CNC package. It comes with CNC ported heads, single plane intake, T&D shaft rockers. Diamond pistons your choice of compression. Arp studs, gaskets, and springs. About 7000$ with 2.375 titanium intake valve upgrade and 1247 triple springs. I would still have to round up engine plates, headers, bellhousing, oil pan. Think I could do it all for around 13K to 15K and make power close to the Mopar in the boat now.  Just thinking out loud but thought I would throw it out there.

jimsplace

In my opinion, for the way you use the boat, either motor will produce more horsepower than you need.
The Chevy will be much cheaper to maintain and parts easier to locate.
The headers, motor plate, bell housing and oil pan are minor details.  The headers are the only somewhat expensive item.
    :smile17:

galen

Thanks Jim. I left the boat in Texas with plans on getting down more this season. Billys engine is almost done. Waiting on lifter rebuild from Isky, converting to EZ roll max bushings. 1000hp range is plenty for what I do and I just enjoy hanging out with you all. Thinking with as little as I get down we would have engines that could be swapped between Billy and me as needed. As you know we tend to be slightly hard on stuff.

jimsplace

First, you need to get down more often, I enjoy talking to you.
Second, 1,000 HP in a hydro will be more than be adequate to play the vast majority of boats.
With the exception of a very few jet boats, the above sentence is easily true.

think.gif
If Billy is reading this, i'm sure he's already thinking the idea of a back-up motor would be a good idea.

73 Sanger Flat

Galen -I think the rods are Callies 6.8  . but they may be Scat .I think there is a set of 6.7 rods  in my shed also .. . Need to dig them out and look ..
Galen - that sounds like a good plan and will get you Mopar engine in your GTX ..I  have that Milodon Pan we took off of mine also ,