Low oil pressure, High water temp warning light

galen

After hurting my engine this year I decided this is the route I am going. I monitor my gauges often but did not catch my water pump failure until after I hurt it. This autometer warning system uses a shift light you can mount in your line of sight. You can get different temp and pressure sensors. Right at 100$ for everything. Cheap compared to what I'm spending to fix it.  Jegs or Summit

73 Sanger Flat

I need that same set up also.. There is no way to monitor the gauges when you are on a full blown pass .. I think that will work great Galen .

Becket

Galen, I like the way you think.

Only thing I can think of that would throw a Wrench in you plans, is that if your Water Pump quits, the Temp. Light most likely wont help, the Probe needs to be in Water to work...........

Is there anyway to use Water Pressure to activate the Light? Like the outboards do?

galen

Gas-Hole said:
Galen, I like the way you think.

Only thing I can think of that would throw a Wrench in you plans, is that if your Water Pump quits, the Temp. Light most likely wont help, the Probe needs to be in Water to work...........

Is there anyway to use Water Pressure to activate the Light? Like the outboards do?
  Good point I would think maybe a 7lb oil pressure sender would work instead of the temp sensor in the cooling. I may put both in series. 

Dry Dock

Murphy safety switch and gauges used to make a safety switch that would kill power to ignition in case of low oil pressure.  it was a gauge and switch combined.

they were used on all the Chryslet hemi's and BBC irrigation motors that run for days at a time out in the field with no one around to watch a gauge.

FormulaZR

Dry Dock said:
Murphy safety switch and gauges used to make a safety switch that would kill power to ignition in case of low oil pressure.  it was a gauge and switch combined.

they were used on all the Chryslet hemi's and BBC irrigation motors that run for days at a time out in the field with no one around to watch a gauge.

There are still safety switches available that will cut power to ignition or fuel pump (electric) in the event something falls above or below it's allowed range.

Becket

FormulaZR said:
Dry Dock said:

There are still safety switches available that will cut power to ignition or fuel pump (electric) in the event something falls above or below it's allowed range.
Is this a good Idea? I for one would rather have a light and a Controlled shut down Verses a "OH SH*T!" shut down.

73 Sanger Flat

I would agree .. No auto shutdown . Just a light so i could get off of it and get it shut down on my own . Don't like losing power on a full hard pass .

Dry Dock

Never do a shut off on Jet boat unless you like to swim............ a flat or hydro with prop release or whirlaway will track straight on down the road.

V Drives will get a spark plug reading making a blast and killing switch under full power........

I understand any jet owners concern. a safety switch on a jet would make you into a circle boat.  A light is good if you can see on a very sunny day..........

galen

Dry Dock said:
Never do a shut off on Jet boat unless you like to swim............ a flat or hydro with prop release or whirlaway will track straight on down the road.

V Drives will get a spark plug reading making a blast and killing switch under full power........

I understand any jet owners concern. a safety switch on a jet would make you into a circle boat.  A light is good if you can see on a very sunny day..........
Shift lites are bright enough you can see it. I am still think the key is making sure its in your normal direct line of site on a pass. I am hoping it is enough to get my attention and look at the gauges.