Looking to LS swap my CVX-20

CVX_KTF

Hi all. New to the forums here, so bear with me...

I have a 79 Glastron CVX-20 that I am looking into swapping to an LS platform.  I joined this forum because I came across a guy with the screen name blazeracer who performed this swap in the past.

Just looking to gather as much info as I can before diving into this blindly. If anyone has any info that they think may help or has a connection with the above mentioned user I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Devilman

I was just going to say to look up Blaze's build thread on here but you are on the right track. It is pretty detailed/extensive.

Welcome to THB by the way. :smile17:

A quick look (well not really "quick" but I had time to kill, haha) thru the thread reveals that the LS transformation begins on page 40 of his Glastron build thread: This link should take you to it.

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=11838.585

Disturbed

Welcome to THB.  I did a little digging on Blaze's build thread.  The first mention of an LS appears to be on page 40 or so.  It's just a little light reading.  LOL.

Devilman

DISTURBED said:
Welcome to THB.  I did a little digging on Blaze's build thread.  The first mention of an LS appears to be on page 40 or so.  It's just a little light reading.  LOL.

Caught me on the edit, lol... crazy.gif

blazeracer

I'm here. I don't come on this one too much any longer. I did an EFI motor in mine. The special things needed...

I made motor plates that adapted the LS motor holes in the block to the cradle the stock Ford motor sat in. A three point mount BBC rear bell housing will work, you just can't use one bolt as the block isn't tapped for it. So you'll just use 5 bolts in the bell housing. Another option would be to make a four point mount for it. At the time I did mine reverse wound starters didn't exist for LS motors, so a top mount starter wasn't an option for me. They might have em now.

Next is exhaust. I used stock wakeboat type manifolds from Pleasurecraft Marine. They bolted right up and them got some silicon exhaust tubing to connect everything together to the Glastron tips. That was easy peasy.

Next is the Power Take Off (PTO) adapter. A bunch of places have the LS versions now so that's no problem.

Finally is induction. I went EFI. I found a place in Arkansas on eBay that did the stand alone harness mod and added relays for fuel pump, ECM and a little fuse box that also included the connection for the check engine light. He also flashed the ECM to get rid of all the transmission, tire pressure, and other not needed things for stand alone motor operation. From there is was pretty much plug and play. I got HP Tuners to tune it up, but I don't think I gained anything from it. The stock tune with VATS deleted worked very well.

Option B is use an MSD 6LS and a carburetor. I did that with the LS in my Cheyenne. Is super easy and super reliable.

Hope that helps.

CVX_KTF

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Blazeracer, I originally wanted to go injected but my boss ( I work at a shop that does a lot of high end resto-mods, East Bay Muscle Cars) said that it may be more pricey to go that route and I may need a surge tank and a bunch of other stuff to make that fuel system work.

If you don't mind me asking, do you recall what you had invested in getting it up and running? Just trying to see how swapping to an LS would compare with rebuilding another 460. (I totally understand if you don't feel comfortable answering that..) I know those Fords are not cheap to rebuild plus I seem to have a pretty good track record of blowing up big blocks in jet boats, haha. Also, how did it run with the LS? Comparable to the 460? More/less performance? My boat ran pretty good with the 460 I pieced together off craigslist and I imagine an LS would prob be achieving close to the same power/torque levels at a huge weight savings, capable of achieving higher RPM, etc..

I am going to start putting together a list of parts. If you don't mind I'd love to run it by you and get your input.

Thanks again guys!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to THB! Looks like we will have another build thread. I like keeping with the 460 but I'm biased. Either way, you will find some great info here with what ever route you so choose. Glad you joined up! clap.gif clap.gif

farmo83

I’m really interested to see how this goes as well. My Brother in Law bought my old CVX 20 and is a dyed in the wool LS guy. He’s really on the fence about wanting to build up the old ford or go the LS route.

CVX_KTF

Hey guys.

So I am reading through Blazeracer's entire build thread but can't seem to get any of the pic attachments to work. Anyone experiencing the same problem?? Am I doing something wrong? Have the links expired because it is an old thread?

Disturbed

CVX_KTF said:
Hey guys.

So I am reading through Blazeracer's entire build thread but can't seem to get any of the pic attachments to work. Anyone experiencing the same problem?? Am I doing something wrong? Have the links expired because it is an old thread?

The forum is in the middle of a major overhaul.  We've been assured by the management that the pics are not lost.  They're just in limbo until the new 'look' is implemented.  In the meantime, if you know what page the pics are on, I'm sure Patchman can retrieve them for you. 

CVX_KTF

Gotcha. Thanks Disturbed. I'm not in a huge rush, I am (sadly) coming to terms with the fact that there will most likely be no boating for me this season anyway! Still working on wrapping up glassing a floor in this thing before the motor swap begins.