K&N Question

customtouch

I know that K&N sells a CG approved flame arrestor but is that filter actually any different than the standard one? There are no visible differences and they seem to be the same element so my I question is whether all the elements are constructed the same and will work in a closed engine compartment?

customtouch

FWIW, I called K&N directly and spoke to one of their tech guys. He told me that there is no real difference between the construction of the automotive filter and the USCG approved filter other than the stamp, which you might need to "prove" it passes if you get inspected. I am not concerned with that as long as it is safe so I will get the one I want. Just thought I would post results in case someone else was curious.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I can say about K&N's is that if you have a backfire through the carb, those oil soaked bastards burn real good. We almost lost a truck to one of them. And that molten rubber liked to have never come off my hands! But they do flow some air though! :smile30:

customtouch

I doubt if I would use oil on one in a boat but that doesn't sound good. How could something that burns like that be considered a flame arrestor?

duanehydro

Anyone here have a Dodge truck they want one for? i have a stack of em....gas and diesel....I can fix you up!!! clap.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
customtouch said:
I doubt if I would use oil on one in a boat but that doesn't sound good. How could something that burns like that be considered a flame arrestor?
They need the oil to work. Even though it is used sparingly, oil and cotton = Fire. I'm not saying that it would ever happen in a boat, but I did witness it going down I-45 and had to help put it out! DR.Pepper and my T-shirt got it done! :smile30:

Becket

customtouch said:
Gas-Hole said:
Email K&N, I bet they can tell you what the Difference is...    :smile30:

Actually I called the Tech Line for K&N. Findings are in post #2. :smile30:
Ah yes, I see that now, But that don't answer the Question, at least for me.........there HAS to be something more to it than the Stamp....

I run K&N On my Stacks, Not that I need C/G approved but now I am Curious....... think.gif

customtouch

Well from what he told me, they didn't set out to specifically design a flame arrestor. Someone just figured out that the filters met the criterion for the coast guard which just opened up another market for them. In order for them to be "legal" for a boat they have to have the stamp. He told me I would be just as safe without the stamp but not "legal." I am guessing the stamp means they get to charge more for the same thing.

Crusader

customtouch said:
Well from what he told me, they didn't set out to specifically design a flame arrestor. Someone just figured out that the filters met the criterion for the coast guard which just opened up another market for them. In order for them to be "legal" for a boat they have to have the stamp. He told me I would be just as safe without the stamp but not "legal." I am guessing the stamp means they get to charge more for the same thing.

Yep....same thing with a FAA stamp on aircraft parts......with the stamp, they charge 200% more for the same item without the stamp...... it's a scam.