Brazos River Rat new boat

73 Sanger Flat

Look like I will be getting me a old Pontoon boat next weekend .. It needs some work , but I think it will be cool to have .. 24 foot long with a 90 HP Mariner on it , all new seats and carpet already installed .. Just need to get it running and fix a few things .. We bought new tires and wheels yesterday  and will go get the Pontoon boat next Sunday

Might make me a nice little play boat for the river .. Might just turn it in to a refueling station for Galen's and My boats .. Load a couple of drums of fuel on it and a couple large ice chest and we could go all day at the lake .. Or sell my boat and just become  a slow River Rat on the water .. Be a hell of a lot cheaper than running my Cole .. I will post up some picture once I get it cleaned up and running ..

Devilman

24 ft pontoon, dang.. helluva party barge... :smile28: I like that idea, portable gas dock and a place to tie off & hang out in between passes.  :smile17:

ChryslerJet

Devilman said:
24 ft pontoon, dang.. helluva party barge... :smile28: I like that idea, portable gas dock and a place to tie off & hang out in between passes.  :smile17:
I can only imagine that caravan traveling down the road.  Galen's Beast then the Cole followed up by the pontoon.

73 Sanger Flat

Devilman said:

Yeah - I thought maybe drag the boats behind the Pontoon on the water , find a nice spot to anchor out and enjoy the day on the water .. Make me a rope with a piece of plactic conduit to keep the boats off the pontoon while pulling them , so they won't bumb into each other .. Might work ..  Be  a hell of a lot cheaper than burning that VP racing fuel ..

Plus this old Pontoon has a canopy for it for shade , just have to get it recovered .. Might even be able to make a area on top for the kids to have a play area to jump off ..

73 Sanger Flat

ChryslerJet said:
Devilman said:
I can only imagine that caravan traveling down the road.  Galen's Beast then the Cole followed up by the pontoon.

Plus the 32 Fifth wheel RV -- I can do the Fifth wheel and my Cole behind my 96 Ford Diesel  .. Galen pulls his Hydro , maybe my Dad pulls the Pontoon with his Motor home .. That would be a pretty good convoy heading to the lake .. Test run to Plowman maybe  thsi spring ..

Crusader

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Devilman said:

Yeah - I thought maybe drag the boats behind the Pontoon on the water , find a nice spot to anchor out and enjoy the day on the water .. Make me a rope with a piece of plactic conduit to keep the boats off the pontoon while pulling them , so they won't bumb into each other .. Might work ..  Be  a hell of a lot cheaper than burning that VP racing fuel ..

Plus this old Pontoon has a canopy for it for shade , just have to get it recovered .. Might even be able to make a area on top for the kids to have a play area to jump off ..

We did the exact same thing a couple of times last summer....had a huge pontoon boat (The Mothership) and all the jets tied up around it.......tons of fun!

Devilman

yessir, do it like they do with the houseboats out west.  jump.gif

jimsplace

Just don't mount a grill next to the fuel and make sure to put up no smoking signs.

That sounds cool.  You might even consider renting one of the storage areas near the river for the pontoon boat so you don't have to drag it very far.
If you are able to get to the river often, it might save enough gas money to pay for the storage.

You really do need something else to work on! LOL.
      :smile17:

73 Sanger Flat

Well the Pontoon is at my Dads and we have it all cleaned up , finally got the engine ( 90 Hp Mariner ) to start . I hard to rewire part of it and work on the carbs a little .. They had a couple of things hooked up wrong .. Now it will start and idle good . Water pump is here and ready to go in .. Will try and drop the lower unit and install water pump this weekend . .. New bow lights , ignition switch, toggle switches and some more misc stuff just arrrived ..  I need to find some one to weld some aluminum for us  and also find someone to make us a new canopy top for it and it will be time to test it .. Sure going to be a different boat from anything I ever had ..

Sure hope we get some water in Granbury so i can test it here ..

oldbuck40

Well the Pontoon is at my Dads and we have it all cleaned up , finally got the engine ( 90 Hp Mariner ) to start . I hard to rewire part of it and work on the carbs a little .. They had a couple of things hooked up wrong .. Now it will start and idle good . Water pump is here and ready to go in .. Will try and drop the lower unit and install water pump this weekend . .. New bow lights , ignition switch, toggle switches and some more misc stuff just arrrived ..  I need to find some one to weld some aluminum for us  and also find someone to make us a new canopy top for it and it will be time to test it .. Sure going to be a different boat from anything I ever had ..

Sure hope we get some water in Granbury so i can test it here ..
hey if you wind up not having the right prop on that toon give me a holler i have one,,cant remember the pitch but it aint very much! cant have too much or you will lug that 90 down!  My old toon was 24' with a 90 Merc on it.

73 Sanger Flat

Thanks Greg

I wil let you know .. We will just have to guess at it , no tach, speedometer or any gauges are  on this boat , but should be able to tell what it is doing ..  Yeah this toon is also a 24 foot ..

How fast would your toon run with that 90 Mariner

What do you want for the prop and what size is it ??

oldbuck40

Thanks Greg

I wil let you know .. We will just have to guess at it , no tach, speedometer or any gauges are  on this boat , but should be able to tell what it is doing ..  Yeah this toon is also a 24 foot ..

How fast would your toon run with that 90 Mariner

What do you want for the prop and what size is it ??
No problem man! hell its been a long time ago since i had it,,im thinking maybe 25 mph but i had the older style pontoons that were " U " shaped,,they seem to plow more then get up on the water like the round one do,,,,and it will go even slower the more crap you pile on it lol  I had mine up to the beach North of 174 and so loaded the floor was almost touching the water!  I will go see if i can get to the old motor and check on that prop for ya! If it works for ya you can have it!

73 Sanger Flat

Thanks Greg
That is what I think this one will do is just plow water , so may name it Water Plow .. LOL ..
This is a 1988 Pontoon , so I have no ideal what it will do .. Hopefully it will be fun ..

You must of had too many cases of beer on it to be that loaded down .. I bet it  was faster on the way back .. LOL

oldbuck40

Thanks Greg
That is what I think this one will do is just plow water , so may name it Water Plow .. LOL ..
This is a 1988 Pontoon , so I have no ideal what it will do .. Hopefully it will be fun ..

You must of had too many cases of beer on it to be that loaded down .. I bet it  was faster on the way back .. LOL
your probably right on the beer lol    Hey that prop is a Michigan prop, Aluminum with a 13" D by 11 Pitch 3 blade  part #032089