Braided Steel lines

Dry Dock

Sometime back someone posted some hints to make installing fittings on line easier on fingers..... search function does not work on THB...... database errors. 

anyone know where that post was or respond to hints to simplify?
I used to do quite a bit of B/S lines but been many years and going to do more now.........

jimsplace

I couldn't find anything either on braided lines.
My suggestions are keep a lot of band-aid's close, keep little children at a distance to protect their delicate ears from certain words and get out the check book.
Sorry not much help.
  :smile17:

jroberts88

no no band-aid's  needed. When cutting the line use ducktape wrap the line and then cut in the middle of the line. That will stop fraing from cutting. But yes you do have to take off the tape to put the fitting on. Also once you get the screw fitting on the line put some lube (i used motor oil) on the part that goes into the braided line to help it slide into it. MOST importand. once the lines are made blow the lines out with compress air to make sure there is nojunk in the lines. Any other questions let me know.

Knotty Girl

Everyone has their own method.  I use black electrical tape cut it in the middle of the tape and leave on. Once it is started on fitting then I pull the tape off.  It is thin and strong enough just it get it started.  I also use a small flat head screw driver to push in any braids than might not made it in the fitting.  Then I have band-aids handy.  :smile16:

duanehydro

Knotty said:
Everyone has their own method.  I use black electrical tape cut it in the middle of the tape and leave on. Once it is started on fitting then I pull the tape off.  It is thin and strong enough just it get it started.  I also use a small flat head screw driver to push in any braids than might not made it in the fitting.  Then I have band-aids handy.  :smile16:
That's what i do too...hurts for a few days, but looks great. :smile27:

Dry Dock

Replace dull diamond blade wheel........ that helped the cut............

Count me in on this tool............. going to give it a try before I do more lines........

http://www.koultools.com/

Becket

Just did the Fuel lines on My Cousins Sled, Used the "Limb loper" shears that are for cutting the Braided Hose, worked like a Charm! No tape needed and no fraying!  :smile16:

Nary a Bandaid was used!

jimsplace

Dry Dock said:
Replace dull diamond blade wheel........ that helped the cut............

Count me in on this tool............. going to give it a try before I do more lines........

http://www.koultools.com/

I look forward to hearing how it actually works.
I've done a number of the stainless braided hoses and they are a pain to work with.
If it works nearly as easy as it looked, WOW, I'll need one .

Dry Dock

After going and getting a new  cutting wheel, I thought about it  and tied a nylon tie strap where I wanted to cut. I cut it and took tape off.  looked like a piece of pipe cut with a pipe cutter.  No fraying whatsoever.

put little oil in the sleeve and clamped it down in the workmate and hose slid right in. no prying or screw driver needed on this one. 

Always the way it works for me.......... the last fitting had it all figured out and was the easiest.  Looked as easy as the Kouhl Tool.  Got two more hoses to do from tanks to the valve.............all else is B/S from valve to Carb.

The tie strap works good!

FormulaZR

SS braid looks good...but there are better, more durable lines out there.

But...if you're going for the look - they can't be beat.