Boat Weight

blazeracer

There's always talk about how heavy or light our boats are. I found some Glastron info on the CVX's.

First chart is the hull's dry weight with interior, no drive or motor.

Second chart is the motor.

What does a complete E-pump weigh? Info from Berkeley says it's 40lbs lighter than a 12JC, but they don't say what a 12JC weighs. Assuming about 160 that puts my Glastron at 2,215lbs dry... But I also trimmed about 100lbs off the motor with aluminum heads and intake.

jimsplace

I have always found performance people interested in removing weight from their machine or in our case boat to make it go faster and quicker.  Some will spend a lot of money to remove even 5 pounds or maybe 20 pounds.

How many of us make no effort to remove 30 or 40  pounds from ourself?  We would be healthier and probably better looking. 

Thought for the day, look in the mirror and think about where all of that extra weight is located in the boat.  It's up front which is the worst place.  You can help the poor boat that is trying to move all of that weight if you really want too..

scarabscs

jimsplace said:
I have always found performance people interested in removing weight from their machine or in our case boat to make it go faster and quicker.  Some will spend a lot of money to remove even 5 pounds or maybe 20 pounds.

How many of us make no effort to remove 30 or 40  pounds from ourself?  We would be healthier and probably better looking. 

Thought for the day, look in the mirror and think about where all of that extra weight is located in the boat.  It's up front which is the worst place.  You can help the poor boat that is trying to move all of that weight if you really want too..

I totally agree with you on this one.  I raced motocross for many years, and to shed 5 lbs off your bike, you could easily spend $1000 plus.  Go hit the gym and shake a few pounds, its a lot easier!

KONA77

jimsplace said:

OH SNAP,  i have to chuckle here.....  and i thought i was bold  :smile17: shit i guess i better use that Bow Flex I bought 10 yrs ago  :grin:  or could just buy that magic pill we see advertising on TV  :undecided:

jdeaton

So you want to loose weight, have I got the machine for you.  I have a knock-off of a bow flex, yours free if you pick it up. Feel those pounds fall off just loading this beast.

scarabscs

Heres the quick and dirty way to shed a few lbs, LMAO

ev6JB6dGdH3G0XGxbazQrQgSZKa6wGR2JpsMM7HRi3sY6zOGZIPXeQ_n_UlDZxq99YwoTohkzTEyz7si4eJMcjMJRzgZw6gTn7WUngPdPSliN4Xb_tS1VT8JIyYN3hZCLIHVyiRK4cG0MA

txliberator

I want one of these,,

http://www.frsport.com/Sparco-Carbon-385-Steering-Wheel-Full-Carbon-Fiber_p_16105.html?gclid=CIqZvaCMuKkCFQES2godrxcx_Q

blazeracer

I wasn't really talking about trimming weight on the boat. More of how guys with slow boats say how heavy they are, but have no numbers. Just found it interesting the I found Glastron number and my boat comes in at about 2,215 stock, probably at 2,115 as it sits now dry weight with the aluminum pieces.

BTW, NADA says my boat weighs 1050..... but my motor alone is 800 and the jet drive 160. That leaves 90 lbs for the rest. LOL

Devilman

I ran mine across the scales here at work awhile back, it was 3000-3500 lb. range. Thats lake ready, trailer, & all though. I have a copy of an old Avenger brochure on the computer somewhere, have to see if it includes those figures like your Glastron chart does...

scarabscs

TXLib, that Sparco wheel is hotttt!  You should buy it and put a could or NOSSS buttons on it  :smile30:

But seriously, my boat is a big fat heavy turd.  She weighs in at 4000-4100 ish.  This works good for me, because weight reduction doesnt help much, so I hit the buffet a lot.  :smile16:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
scarabscs said:
TXLib, that Sparco wheel is hotttt!  You should buy it and put a could or NOSSS buttons on it  :smile30:

But seriously, my boat is a big fat heavy turd.  She weighs in at 4000-4100 ish.  This works good for me, because weight reduction doesnt help much, so I hit the buffet a lot.  :smile16:
:smile30: :grin: Me too!

txliberator

LOL. I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, sorry! But I am always looking for ways to get weight outta the boat since mine weighs 900lbs BARE  :sad: Heavy turd! Did somebody say NAWWWWSSS?!  :tongue:

Knotty Girl

All this talk about weight.  My boat will run a solid 45mph with me in it, you get a skinny guy to drive it it will run a solid 145mph.  So why should I lose weight I do not see that big of difference do ya'll?  crazy.gif

John

Knotty Girl said:
All this talk about weight.  My boat will run a solid 45mph with me in it, you get a skinny guy to drive it it will run a solid 145mph.  So why should I lose weight I do not see that big of difference do ya'll?  crazy.gif

that skinny guy must paddle a hell of a lot faster

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
John said:
Knotty Girl said:

that skinny guy must paddle a hell of a lot faster
Oh that is cold, but extremely funny! :smile26: :grin:

jimsplace

In an attempt to get back on the subject of boat weight, there are different ways to claim what your boat weighs.  First, if it a race type boat the weight will almost always be given as weight of the hull only.  There is no motor, pump/or v-drive or steering included.  So, when someone says their boat weighs 350 pounds, that is hull only.

There is also the running weight that includes everything for the boat including some gas weight, but not the cooler and skies.  That number is usually used with larger boats.  The various weights can be vastly different if you haven't noticed.

J C Gordon

Yep your "race weights" are outta the mold fiberglass weights with nothing added. Mine is a 450# hull so it probly around 1200-1500#'s with the aluminum headed BBC ,interior, gas stuff like that. It all addes up quick.