Bead Blast And Clear Coat

blazeracer

Bead blasted and clear coated my first aluminum piece, the timing cover. It looks like it was just primered, but shiny. Should stay real clean though. We'll see how it looks on the motor. The intake is fixin to get the same treatment with the compressor charging now.

OOps. forgot to click post.... The intake is blasted and washed.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 166

blazeracer

Last Mohican said:
What gives?  No pics?  That is the one things about clear coating cast aluminum.  It does turn kinda gray.

My phone error'd sending the pic. It's there now.

Intake will by ready soon.

blazeracer

OK, cool little discovery here. After bead blasting the intake there was a touch of gasket material around the waterneck seal I didnt' want to blast so I took a wire wheel brush to it.

HOLY CRAP!!

The aluminum that was blasted started shining like crazy. Not a smooth shine, but looked really good non the less.

1st pic blasted

2nd pic wire wheeled

3rd pic cleared

I can live with this look. Gonna re-do the timing chain cover now, blast the clear back off of it, wire wheel it, then clear it again.

Attachments

• intake5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 147
  • intake6.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 142
  • intake7.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 161

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
OK, cool little discovery here. After bead blasting the intake there was a touch of gasket material around the waterneck seal I didnt' want to blast so I took a wire wheel brush to it.

HOLY CRAP!!

The aluminum that was blasted started shining like crazy. Not a smooth shine, but looked really good non the less.

1st pic blasted

2nd pic wire wheeled

3rd pic cleared

I can live with this look. Gonna re-do the timing chain cover now, blast the clear back off of it, wire wheel it, then clear it again.

Looks bitchin man! wish mine was that clean. somebody hit mine with aluminum wheel cleaner at some point before I had it. Turned it all chaulky, had to scrub the hell out of it to get it back to ugly.

blazeracer

I was going to get to the timing cover last night but the wire wheel is about wore out, and the Mavs game had already started so I had to get home. I think I'm picking up fridges this morning. If not it'll be a good day to get that DA sander going and get the top side at least primed.

Crusader

blazeracer said:
I was going to get to the timing cover last night but the wire wheel is about wore out, and the Mavs game had already started so I had to get home. I think I'm picking up fridges this morning. If not it'll be a good day to get that DA sander going and get the top side at least primed.

Dude, get a TV for your shop so you can work on the boat and watch the Mavs game at the same time.

Duh!!  crazy.gif

blazeracer

soldier of fortune said:
man that intake looks great when can you send it to me?

As soon as you go on PayPal and send $400 to my email address.. LOL

Got the timing cover reblasted, now to wire wheel it.

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
I have a TV at the shop, but the beer and dinner were at home.. LOL

I have often thought about putting a TV in the shop, but I'm afraid i would forget what the inside of my house looked like.

blazeracer

HammerDown said:
blazeracer said:

I have often thought about putting a TV in the shop, but I'm afraid i would forget what the inside of my house looked like.

Over the winter I spent a lof Sundays here at the shop with Chili's wings and a 12 pack watching the Cowboys while wrenching on the boat. I always wonder how many extra parts I'll find when it's done. LOLOL

Last Mohecian

Administrator
blazeracer said:
HammerDown said:
blazeracer said:

Over the winter I spent a lof Sundays here at the shop with Chili's wings and a 12 pack watching the Cowboys while wrenching on the boat. I always wonder how many extra parts I'll find when it's done. LOLOL

Chicken parts or Motor parts???

blazeracer

DiamondJim said:
Maybe an extra push rod in the oil pan, Har Har

That was previous owner. All 16 of my Ford Racing pushrods are accounted for in their proper home wherer they will spend the remainder of their useful life.

WAFOBABY

Well I have to get my tags and change the oil and Im ready.  I did uncover it last week and wash it up and put a new battery in it.  Trying to find some bigger tires for the trailer cause I hate those low profile ones. Plus I want 15" not 14"