anadozing aluminum heads

farmo83

What are you boys thoughts on getting aluminum heads anodized? Is it worth the extra money ? My boat has never nor will ever see salt water ( at least during my ownership).

Devilman

Is it just a cosmetic thing, or is there a performance aspect to it? Never heard of anyone anodizing heads, but I dont get out much haha. I bet it would look pretty cool though.

farmo83

From what I've read it's supposed to cut down on corrosion in the water jackets. Apparently aluminum on iron with water is prone to electrolysis. I get it in salt water but I don't know if it's worth the money in fresh water.

Devilman

I gotcha. I think I have read here in the past about people finding evidence of corrosion due to what you mention, but don't recall how extensive it may have been.

I want to say it was Greg/Oldbuck40 that was talking about it, he was running aluminum heads, may still be actually. His boats have been fresh water only long as I've known him.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't think you would see a noticeable difference if you did it. Considering the block holds some water in it when you pull out of the lake, I wouldn't think it would be that much water in it. If you pull the drains and drain the block after every trip, that would be more beneficial.  think.gif

TexasJet

Cheaper would be to put in block drains. 1/4 turn ball valve on a short nipple. I have that on the CP and just added it to the Baja. Drain the block at the end of the day right at the ramp.

FL350

Administrator
I've ran our engines in the Atlantic, Pacific and ALOT of lakes/rivers in between. I haven't anodized any but flush them drain them, never had a problem 20+ years.

73 Sanger Flat

Just flush the engine after the weekend , that is what I do and so far I have not had any problems . Steel block with Aluminum heads and intake .

EOSpeed

I am working on a motor with 2 year old Trick Flow heads. The Brazos river is starting to eat them up. He hasn't been flushing the block. The Brazos is harder on part than any place. Like Billy said flush the block. It is the lower part of the head that it eats up when the water and the air meat.

farmo83

A garden hose is that much cleaner than lake water? I figured there wouldn't be that much difference and it was basically fresh water is fresh water.

jimsplace

farmo83 said:
A garden hose is that much cleaner than lake water? I figured there wouldn't be that much difference and it was basically fresh water is fresh water.

In some cases fresh water is fresh water, but little if any water is 100% pure.  The difference between garden hose water and lake water is how much more pure, that is, lack of certain chemicals?  Most lakes and rivers contain many chemicals, and salt is just one that contributes to electrolysis.  Another problem that doesn't get talked about much, but still is important is the use of different metal that contributes to the problem.  Just think about the importance of using anti-seize on stainless steel bolts going into aluminum, or actually just touching it.  Now, add chemical laden water making it worse.
    :smile18:

farmo83

jimsplace said:
farmo83 said:

In some cases fresh water is fresh water, but little if any water is 100% pure.  The difference between garden hose water and lake water is how much more pure, that is, lack of certain chemicals?  Most lakes and rivers contain many chemicals, and salt is just one that contributes to electrolysis.  Another problem that doesn't get talked about much, but still is important is the use of different metal that contributes to the problem.  Just think about the importance of using anti-seize on stainless steel bolts going into aluminum, or actually just touching it.  Now, add chemical laden water making it worse.
    :smile18:

makes sense

73 Sanger Flat

The Brazos River is horrible water .. Not sure what all is in it , but it will eat up stuff pretty quick .. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to flush mine when i get home .. yeah , it a pain , but the heads are to dam expensive not to take care of them .. A closed loop system would be the best ..

FL350

Administrator
Lots lime in that water. The one year I left my Scarab in the water overnight at the poker run it did a number on my drive shower.

73 Sanger Flat

Galen had one on his Hydro, worked great until the electric circulating pump on the engine died at the lake on a full blown pass and overheated his engine .. I think they would work great if you stayed away from an electric water pump .. Use a belt drive pump to cirulate the water, he used the belt drive pump to cool the heat exchanger and had to use a electric to circulate the water  .. The  jet boats I think would be easier . Use the water off the jet pump to cool the heat exchanger and then use a belt drive pump to circulate the water .. I may buy Galen's heat exchanger and see if I can rig one up in my boat next winter ..Be nice to have constant heat and no lake water in the engine ..

I used an electric water pump for years. It was simple and reliable. turn it on, turn it off. run it for a while after motor was turned off and cool it down naturally.