Aluminum polishing

72hondo

Who does polishing in the DFW area or anywhere in TX for that matter? I'm tossing around the idea of having valve covers and a manifold done while the motor is apart.

Thanks, Robert

Gem427

Not sure in the Dallas area but for an excellent job and good service check out http://www.squeakysmetalpolishing.com/  I have used him many times when I had my Cobra replica. He is an ex Halibrand employee and does good work at reasonable prices. He takes things i n order received and will notify you with a quote before the job. It's been a while sine I've used him but if I needed any polishing done it's where I would start. Hope this helps.

Gary

spd500

Check into the places that do polishing on big rigs  :smile30: they are usually pretty good and reasonably priced  :smile13:

overbored

Hands Off in Garland was a great place when Frank was there. He works out of his garage now but still does superior work. He is used by at least 3 of the higher end hotrod shops in this area. His number is 214-453-9894

72hondo

Let's take a poll, valve covers- polished or as is brushed aluminum?

a693481c-c8a1-02fc.jpg

spd500

Polished would look great , but I hate the upkeep that comes with polished covers . Duane was trying some new stuff awhile back that was supposed to keep polished stuff shiny , you might ask him if it ended up doing any good .

Devilman

I agree with Spd, he pretty dead on. The polished will look killer, if ya don't mind keepin up with them.

I had polished alum. valve covers on mine, had to polish them pretty much after every outing if I wanted them to stay lookin good. Got rid of them after a couple of months & got a set of chromed aluminum valve covers & never looked back.

SimplyOrange

polishing is easy to do yourself, just time consuming, after it is polished you can wipe it with denatured alchohol and clear powdercoat them and never have to polish again, i been doing it to motorcycle wheels for years.

scarabscs

SimplyOrange said:
polishing is easy to do yourself, just time consuming, after it is polished you can wipe it with denatured alchohol and clear powdercoat them and never have to polish again, i been doing it to motorcycle wheels for years.

That is a great idea.  I have polished my alum motocross frames and alum wheels for years.  The upkeep is absurd.  Clear over it and your done with it!
rock.gif

Knotty Girl

I am seriously thinking over the winter I am going to strip the powder coating off om my pump and having it chromed.  I need some  bling.gif

jimsplace

If you want shinny valve covers, get chrome ones or have yours chromed.  Most aluminum valve covers are cast and are relativity porous (it's soft aluminum) and they will water spot even with mild water.  A lot of the highly polished aluminum that stays shinny is a harder aluminum like 6061-t6. 
Most parts on a motorcycle are a relativity high quality aluminum and not like auto valve covers.     
:smile17:    :smile13:  :smile13:

Thats my experience and opinion.  We all know what thats worth.

ChryslerJet

Knotty said:
I am seriously thinking over the winter I am going to strip the powder coating off om my pump and having it chromed.  I need some  bling.gif
Henry after BCR David was saying he has to repolish his every time but sanding off the finish thats left from that river.  So you might want to rethink the polish bowl idea.

spd500

If he chromed it he would just have to wipe off the water spots . But I have heard that its not good to chrome the bowl .

Knotty Girl

ChryslerJet said:
Knotty said:
Henry after BCR David was saying he has to repolish his every time but sanding off the finish thats left from that river.  So you might want to rethink the polish bowl idea.

Chrome  :smile16: