454 rebuild

RAZ

Hey all, it has been awhile since I posted but I'm back with some questions.
Took the boat to the shop had low compression, found two bad pistons.
Now the questions begins. My knowledge is limited on rebuilds so sorry if my terminology is off.

I just want to know if there is anything I should be paying attention to during the rebuid that may not be good for my jet boat or would be better for it? This will be connected to a Berkley pump.
Having to go .060 over. (was already .030) Adding forged pistons. Adding a Comp.cam shaft 232/237 with a 547 lift.
Buying a balanced rotating assm. with a stroker kit. (Motorheads out of Cleveland Ohio)
Mallory's YLM Series Distributor with Promaster coil.
Edelbrock 750CFM carb.
The pump has never given me any problems but should it be gone through at this time. I don't know anybody in my area (NE Arkansas) that works on jets so I guess it would have to be things I could do myself.
Ther boat GPS before was 58 mph @5000 rpm.
The boat is a low profile open bow Kachina.
I guess I'm just after advice and direction since its nothing but a money thing. With labor and parts I am looking at around $3000 so far but would be willing to spend a little more for additional equipment if it was good for perfromance.

Thanks in advance

duanehydro

2 holes in pistons + edelbrock carb=  :huh:  :grin:

most machine shops don't do marine work much, make sure they are aware of the clearance differences. The motors run a lot cooler than an "on the street" combo.

I do suggest a different carb, though. :shocked:

pro53

Duanehydro said:
2 holes in pistons + edelbrock carb=  :huh:  :grin:

most machine shops don't do marine work much, make sure they are aware of the clearance differences. The motors run a lot cooler than an "on the street" combo.

I do suggest a different carb, though. :shocked:
I am with you on that carb  :smile15:, get rid of it. Alight on mild to stock, not boats though. Your the second guy that has holes in his pistons running edelbrocks on a boat motor.

wasaga beach boy

Remember that marine application have more valve to guide clearence, due to heads running cooler than cars and trucks. A little more clearence on the piston as well.