Lucas/ Sdba association

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I would start an actual thread for information on our two drag race sanctioning bodies. I know this has been a rough year for both. If you have any factual news that you can post here or would like to discuss the health of the sport, feel free to do so. I know some of us get some inside track information here and there. So post up if you have anything to say, let's here it.  :smile14:

whitetrash148

Several Board positions open for SDBA, I nominate Henry! I have been approached and unless SDBA is ready and capable to survive away from lucass it would be counter productive for me to apply for a board position.

jimsplace

SDBA has had it's ups and downs over many years.  I know the thought has always been that it takes Pro Boats to get spectators to come, so they tend to cater to the big guys, and sometimes at the expense of the smaller guys.  When SDBA hooks up with the National Event Sponsors, it gets worse for the small guys and everything gets more expensive.

What seems to be happening is more non-sanctioned local races, which caters to the smaller guys (non-professional).  While maybe not a glamorous, they are increasing and expanding.

SDBA at one time was a regional body that ran it own Dragboat show, and did pretty well.  Firebird was a meeting of the various organizations for what I would call the super bowl of boats from all over.

SDBA is going to have to decide if it is going to control its own shows or have someone else control it.  I hope they decide to run their own show.  The outlaw races  seem to be more fun and cater to the people.  Do you remember Smokin' in the Cove and the Dragboat turnouts it had?
This isn't anything new, but it's the way I remember it from the Good Ol" days.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I have definitely noticed an increase in popularity of the Outlaw events. I have read where NHRA is having the same problem. Top fuel teams are hurting, and the no-prep guys are thriving. 

The cars have it allot easier. They can race at the same tracks, and hire the same safety crews/ Ambulance service. With the boats I can see where having the specialized equipment would be the main problem. Not everyone has use of the retrieval boats that the large sanctioning bodies have had years to develop. That's what I think is keeping some of the sanctioned racers from running the Outlaw events. As the Outlaws get more equipment and lock down facilities, they are primed to take the sport over.

The SDBA depends solely on boat racers and the promotion of boat racing for income.
I believe that the SDBA is in a prime position to make this situation work in their favor. If they could figure out their internal issues, and get someone with some positive direction. They could grow the sport and their following rapidly.

Lucas is a different situation from SDBA. Lucas is a huge corporation with money coming in from many different avenues. Boat racers are far from their only bread and butter. I can see that new off road course going up in Wheatland, is diversifying their use of that facility. If boat racing doesn't cut it for them, they simply promote dirt track, drag racing, off road & who knows what else.

I have always favored Lucas myself. They seem to have nice equipment, nice venues, allot more organized, and I felt like that is where the money would be at if there was any to win! Sdba has pretty much been the polar opposite. Which would work for them, if they catered to the average Joe racers. But they don't, they still cater to the Pro's like Lucas. Of the two bodies, SDBA is currently open for some new blood to make changes. Lucas is not.  The problem is getting people to act rather than just voice their opinions. ( I know, that's what I'm doing now) If we truly love this sport like we say we do, who is willing to inconvenience their-selves a little to try and turn it around? I guess we will see if they are willing to adapt in order to survive. Or we will eventually watch old videos of when drag boat racing was a thing.

I see boat racing kind of like THB. It was very popular at one point, but now that is diminishing and we will see who all rises to the occasion. Sorry for the book, just trying to keep some action going around here. Lord knows you guys like to talk, just everyone does it somewhere else lately! :smile14:

jimsplace

Lucas did come in with money and as usual, they went first class.  It makes for a good show and potential to make money.

I'm under the impression they are not making the money they had hoped for in some locations.  The locations that aren't money makers will get dropped and they will keep the ones that do, if any do.  That's the rub for SDBA and other organizations, not all of the sites are really money makers and Lucas wants a cut.

When they dropped virtually all of the heads up racing, except the three big ones, I lost a lot of interest in the organized events.  I want to see the pro gas and the blown pro gas and Comp boats run.

SDBA could learn a lot from NJBA, it has been around for a long time and still seems to have interest.  However, they don't have large payouts.  It does however a good following of Dragboat racers and fans.  It seems to be geared more to having races than making money for the sake of making money.
Just an opinion.    :smile17:

Disturbed

Well, where do we begin? 

SDBA needs to follow through.  At the beginning of every year, there's a big list of races that never seem to happen.  I know they're afraid that too many racing will end up with low boat counts because the same ol racers can't make all of them.  I get it.  However, you're never going to grow without an increased exposure to the sport. 

Speaking of exposure, the races all seem to take place in sparsely populated areas.  Racing closer to major metropolitan areas makes more sense.  Races in or very near the DFW area, Houston, New Orleans, Shreveport, etc. There's over 6.3M people in the Houston area alone. Racing in Grove, OK and Paris, TX just doesn't make sense to me.  Venues that are capable of giving spectators a good experience are a must.  Stadium seating with a view that's not impeded by trees and towers, etc.

Promote, promote, promote.  Both organizations lack promoting.  I have never heard a commercial on the radio or TV promoting a drag boat race. 

Racer participation needs to increase.  The lack of participation is the almighty dollar.  It's too expensive for the average guy with a squirt boat to go hand on a rope in the middle of the summer time and sweat to death.  Maybe if the organization had a safety gear rental, that would help.  ??? 

I would like to see some sportsman all out racing too.  Maybe a Race gas 660 heads up race.  No  alcohol.  Maybe with two classes.  Power adders and no power adders.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Very good points. I know the Houston area could support an event easily. look at the turn out for the winter nationals that is about low keyed as one can get! I wonder how they pull off some of the locations myself. Doesn't seem like there is enough people in those areas to make financial sense on ticket sales. I think there are more crew and race team friends than spectators at Paris! think.gif
I would like to see more of the racing filmed or recorded. It may not show up on tv, but we can get it on the internet! That way maybe it would help draw a fan base to the other classes. Let the racers know that they do have a following out there! ( Even guys like White Trash) :smile14:

73 Sanger Flat

I sure hope SDBA can make it .. I enjoy going to the races and spectate because I can't afford to race myself .. It is too expensive for an average working guy to afford it.. Take off work and then all your expenses of the race . I wish SDBA can come up with a solution so we can still enjoy the races ..

Disturbed

Does anyone have an 'in' on insurance?  I know that one of the major expenses for putting on a race is insurance. 

The outlaw events are killing it because they have no expenses compared to a sanctioning bodied race.  The racers are also not required to have all of the safety equipment.  It might not happen at the next 2 or 10 outlaw races but, someone is gonna eventually get killed.  That will always be a black eye on the sport.  And, once the sport gets punched enough, the effects will roll over into participation of the sanctioned events.  Once the sanctioning bodies are no longer in place, there's less likelihood that the sport will have any protection from legislative measures that will prohibit the sale and use of these types of boats. 

In other words, I strongly encourage everyone to try to support the SDBA in some form.  Try to attend at least one race a year.  Spectating helps! It could mean everything to the sport that we love.

Disturbed

Patchman said:
Very good points. I know the Houston area could support an event easily. look at the turn out for the winter nationals that is about low keyed as one can get! I wonder how they pull off some of the locations myself. Doesn't seem like there is enough people in those areas to make financial sense on ticket sales. I think there are more crew and race team friends than spectators at Paris! think.gif
I would like to see more of the racing filmed or recorded. It may not show up on tv, but we can get it on the internet! That way maybe it would help draw a fan base to the other classes. Let the racers know that they do have a following out there! ( Even guys like White Trash) :smile14:

A youtube channel would be cool!  You might just stay away from interviewing some of those characters though.

:smile20:

Disturbed

This guy looks a little out-of-place! 

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/4d088c02-3a74-4961-9120-cd0d0dbef16b/image2.JPG/:/

Disturbed

Stranger danger!!!!

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/4d088c02-3a74-4961-9120-cd0d0dbef16b/1c2d1ea4-4633-4425-b902-23a1ee4f0e5b.jpg/:/

whitetrash148

To start with I definitely do not have a following! This post might ramble a little. SDBA has to have the following to stage a race---(1) a promoter willing to put up 35k to 50k for an event in the hopes of selling enough tickets/sponsors  to make a profit.  (2) a site with pit area, ramps 1/2 to 3/4 mi. apart  (3) water not too deep for timing towers  (4) near by motels/restaurants -muddybutts was 45 min. away    (5) volunteers for both ramps for three days  and thats just the beginning. It is quite a procedure to put on a race , I have been involved in two at Lubbock but by no means am I an expert. According to Rae Beth there is only one co. for event Ins.  Outlaw events have their place but I agree with disturbed on someone being injured or killed--when that happens someone is going to be sued, My personal experience with an Outlaw race got me sued for 7.5 mill, I will not even spectate at an outlaw race!!!!  Yes support SDBA!   

Disturbed

whitetrash148 said:
To start with I definitely do not have a following! This post might ramble a little. SDBA has to have the following to stage a race---(1) a promoter willing to put up 35k to 50k for an event in the hopes of selling enough tickets/sponsors  to make a profit.  (2) a site with pit area, ramps 1/2 to 3/4 mi. apart  (3) water not too deep for timing towers  (4) near by motels/restaurants -muddybutts was 45 min. away    (5) volunteers for both ramps for three days  and thats just the beginning. It is quite a procedure to put on a race , I have been involved in two at Lubbock but by no means am I an expert. According to Rae Beth there is only one co. for event Ins.  Outlaw events have their place but I agree with disturbed on someone being injured or killed--when that happens someone is going to be sued, My personal experience with an Outlaw race got me sued for 7.5 mill, I will not even spectate at an outlaw race!!!!  Yes support SDBA! 

Has anyone ever cross-checked that?

Now, I'm not accusing anyone of ANYTHING.  However, it would be real easy for someone to get a kick back from a vendor (insurance, or whatever) to a race coordinator for exclusively using a particular product or service.  Thus, eliminating a truly fair and free market that the SDBA needs from a budgetary stand point.

Disturbed

And while I'm think about it, why doesn't the SDBA provide their members with an annual financial report?  I'm sure the members would like to see where it stands financially.  Its like their afraid of being criticized for the financial decision being made.  That would be a good thing.  Better solutions can come from questions.

farmo83

So at the risk of asking a stupid question what is Outlaw racing ? Is it basically just a non sanctioned race ?

I don't have the budget to go drag racing but do enjoy spectating. Are there any pushes to find new venues? I remember many years ago they ran drag boats I think down by clear lake somewhere as a demo. Dad won tickets on the radio and we went to watch. Also many years ago they tested on Lake Austin of all places. To grow the fan base you would need to be near major area's where it's easy for people to attend. Only the diehard fans will be willing to travel. I get this is a catch 22 as a new venue could be a big loss. Just my .02

Disturbed

farmo83 said:
So at the risk of asking a stupid question what is Outlaw racing ? Is it basically just a non sanctioned race ?

I don't have the budget to go drag racing but do enjoy spectating. Are there any pushes to find new venues? I remember many years ago they ran drag boats I think down by clear lake somewhere as a demo. Dad won tickets on the radio and we went to watch. Also many years ago they tested on Lake Austin of all places. To grow the fan base you would need to be near major area's where it's easy for people to attend. Only the diehard fans will be willing to travel. I get this is a catch 22 as a new venue could be a big loss. Just my .02

Outlaw racing is where a group of boaters get together, throw some buoys up and go 'side by side' test at a predetermined location.  Generally started by an arm drop or air horn.  There really aren't any safety rules or enforcement.  The waterways generally aren't secured and there aren't any dedicated or certified rescue teams standing by.

Knotty Girl

Outlaw racing is a good way to get someone seriously hurt or killed. Lake boats have gotten too fast to do this. Plus people do not respect the space. I have seen many dangerous things watching this. Plus all the arguments about who won. I have been on the starting bardge and no way can you get a clean start. Yep I am an old fart and set in my ways. Over and out!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It would be interesting to check into insurance for sure. Plus a financial sheet with a budget would also be a good idea. I couldn't see an honest person having a problem with that at all. When I think about everywhere we race, Marble falls and Chandler are the only two places that I would say they can draw a really large crowd of possible new fans. All the others are either small towns, or located in the middle of nowhere. And also, I just want to say that the Lucas $150 per extra camper fee is highway robbery! When you put a race on in the middle of nowhere, where the crap are people going to stay? All that is doing is chasing more people away from the sport. If they actually organized and systematically parked everyone. They mite have more room in the pits. Oh but wait, they took up more of the parking lot with a offroad track! crazy.gif crazy.gif So I can't help but think that $150 fee is pay up or don't come! I also agree that the Outlaw races are playing with a grenade. But they operate cheap, and draw a large crowd. Maybe SDBA needs to figure out a game plan to make it more affordable for people to race with them. Let's face it, allot of the guys we race with, go to these events. And if they were a little safer and better organized, they would have even larger turn outs. Considering how long the SDBA has been around, I would think that they would be able to look back at where things started to decline. Then formulate a strategy as to how to grow the sport and bring out a crowd. But that is also figuring that folks in the SDBA want it to grow. Sometimes people don't want more or better. They are comfortable with the way things are. :smile24:

White Trash is my favorite boat! ( Have to follow the guys who support the brick industry) :smile14:

whitetrash148

Correction, tuning devices are hitech milk bottles full of concrete.  Have been noticing many drag boats for sale on various sites. Patches pics of big block in Pickup inspires me to put engine out of Whitetrash in my 55 chev.